4Likes
  • 1 Post By boondocker
  • 2 Post By troutbert
  • 1 Post By WilySpike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Penn. logging history

Hoping to find someone who is a buff on the old time logging operations back in the late 1800s and early 1900s.I live in Cameron County up in the Bobbys Run area.A few years ago I found an old log stamp at the head of the hollow with what I believe is D21 on the end of it.Also found an old horse shoe nearby.

Ive been looking to see what company this stamp or mark might have been from but haven't been able to turn anything up.My cousin went to the Lumber Museum but they have no record of it.

They ran trains in the upper parts of Rich Valley and the old rail bed runs through my property.Found an old piece of rail here too.

But if anyone knows of a listing or somewhere I could look it would be appreciated.
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:35 PM
The Man

There is a whole series of PA logging railroad history books by Thomas Taber and some other writers. Different books for different areas of PA.

This might cover your area, but I'm not sure.

Whining Saws and Squealing Flanges; Cross Fork, Emporium, Austin, Hicks Run, Galeton by Thomas Taber

You can get these books to read at your local library via inter-library loan. And you can find copies for sale online.

I've read about 6 of these books, and they are very interesting. You can learn a lot about the logging operations, then you can see the remnants still out there in the landscape.

There are logging railroad grades all over the place. And you'll see remains of splash dams too, if you keep an eye out while walking along the streams. And the rock walls they used to contain the splash.

I got pretty deep into this topic, trying to figure out the effects it all had on the trout habitat of the streams.
bigguy54 and Marcus99 like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Logging RR Era of Lumbering in Pa | Publisher Series | LibraryThing.

great books I have the Tionesta one. Looking for the others at a good price.
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:49 PM
Sage

I have read some of the books, they were some tough hombres in those logging camps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page