Frontier Forts in Pennsylvania - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Frontier Forts in Pennsylvania

For those living along the "Great Valley" in particular. I grew up near the site of Fort Swatara, but heard many differing stories about where it was located. According to this book, the Fort was the opposite direction of where I was told. (Actually NE of Harper's Tavern not SW) Apparently folks were telling me where the site of Harper's "fort" was located.

The book also tells of some frontier folk and their tribulations with the Indians and French.

frontierforts.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 07:46 PM

I have quite a few Pa. History books in my collection . I'll have to see if that Fort is mentioned and compare notes .
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:37 AM

Can't help on Ft. Swatara, I'm closer to Ft. Northkill - Which IDK where they got the "present day" map from but I'm thinking it was "present day " when the forts were there . I will check and see if my local library has that book though.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Northkill was also an Amish settlement near Shartlesville, near where the Hochstetler masssacre took place. That Map seems detailed enough to find the site on a topo map and even perhaps an aerial view. Remember sometimes "Forts" were just hills of dirt, or log blockhouses. There are some early Berk's county maps available on line through the County Genealogy society that might help. I got the one from 1860s and then 1871, and the names of the heads of households are shown. I could even find my GGGF's and GGF's houses.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 12:20 PM

I have a pretty good idea where Ft. Northkill was - I used to hunt the large farm/estate/corporate retreat up there until it was sold a few years back. I got interested in the local history since hunting over on the GL at Shartlesville back in the 70's. Bloody Springs Rd just put all kind of questions in my mind at 12yrs old LOL.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 06:58 AM

There were many forts along the Blue Ridge mountain, from Leeser Lake area to Stroudsburg. A lot of info here, including Swatara:

frontierforts.html

Many were not real "forts" but two-story blockhouses where residents could gather for mutual protection. There is a re-created fort in the New Tripoli area.

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.

Last edited by Sojourner48; 11-06-2016 at 07:02 AM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner48 View Post
There were many forts along the Blue Ridge mountain, from Leeser Lake area to Stroudsburg. A lot of info here, including Swatara:

frontierforts.html

Many were not real "forts" but two-story blockhouses where residents could gather for mutual protection. There is a re-created fort in the New Tripoli area.

this is interesting information and thanks.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:11 AM
New Arrival

You make actually be confusing Fort Swatara with a couple smaller block house type forts in the Harper's area.

Fort Swatarawhich guarded the Swatara Gap, is located just northwest of present day Lickdale. There is actually a road named Fort Swatara Drive if you check the map. There was a stone marker with plaque placed at the site by the Lebanon County Historical Society in the 1930s. I have been to the this marker, it is a short distance down a farm lane, can't remember the name maybe Arnold's Lane by looking at the map. There is nothing left of the fort site except the marker. There is a PA state historical marker along PA route 72 nearby somewhere around where Bohns Lane intersects. There were Indian attacks and some deaths nearby in the Monroe Valley area and north of the Swatara Gap.

There where two smaller forts in the Harper's tavern area. I don't know too much about them one was called Fort Harpers, 1000 yards? west of Harper's Tavern and Reeds Block house, Reeds Creek Road just north of old route 22? I think I've seen a PA historical marker for Reed's also along new Route 22.

Last edited by tick picker; 11-13-2016 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 04:20 AM

Fort Agusta in Sunbury Pa. along the Susquehanna , it gone now except for a marker and a small replica
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick picker View Post
You make actually be confusing Fort Swatara with a couple smaller block house type forts in the Harper's area.

Fort Swatarawhich guarded the Swatara Gap, is located just northwest of present day Lickdale. There is actually a road named Fort Swatara Drive if you check the map. There was a stone marker with plaque placed at the site by the Lebanon County Historical Society in the 1930s. I have been to the this marker, it is a short distance down a farm lane, can't remember the name maybe Arnold's Lane by looking at the map. There is nothing left of the fort site except the marker. There is a PA state historical marker along PA route 72 nearby somewhere around where Bohns Lane intersects. There were Indian attacks and some deaths nearby in the Monroe Valley area and north of the Swatara Gap.

There where two smaller forts in the Harper's tavern area. I don't know too much about them one was called Fort Harpers, 1000 yards? west of Harper's Tavern and Reeds Block house, Reeds Creek Road just north of old route 22? I think I've seen a PA historical marker for Reed's also along new Route 22.
My sister owns a farm on Reeds Creek road with Reeds Creek running thru their property. On Sunday while helping my brother recover a buck I saw some old stone foundations along the creek. Possibly Reeds Fort? Time for some metal detecting.

Stetam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in