Awesome but lucky and unbelievable shots - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Awesome but lucky and unbelievable shots

lets hear about those lucky, unplanned, awesomely unbelievable shots, that you couldnt do again if you tried.

Heres one of mine:

when i was about 19 years old we were hunting rabbits. stopped at a country store for snacks around lunch. went back out rabbit hunting and as i was walking along with a S&W semi auto 12 ga over my shoulder, holding onto it with my right hand, i had a hostess blueberry pie in the other.

couldnt wait to start walking the fields and kicking out rabbits again, we didnt have a dog.

anyway, totally unexpected,a rabbit takes off in front of me. what do i do? drop the pie and shoot at the rabbit, NOPE, i like that pie.

i simply plopped that shotgun over my left forearm with the pie in my left hand and pointed the shotgun at that rabbit, pulled the trigger and watched in utter amazement as that rabbit tumbled end over end and lay there dead.

no plan or practice for that shot, but my buddies still talk about it every now and then.
bigguy54 likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 AM

Re: Awesome but lucky and unbelievable shots

Two:
1) Many years ago as a squirrel hunting teenager I was headed to the house about a mile away and one squirrel short of the limit. It would be dark by the time I reached home and I was walking along the edge of a field as I spotted movement in the top of a hickory tree across the field. It was a long way and I had very little chance of slipping across the field for a closer shot so I raised my single shot 22 Ithaca lever rifle with fixed sights and used a very high aim over the moving squirrel, pulled the trigger and I could not believe my eyes. I thought I saw it drop...thought no not possible so I waited for a while and after seeing no movement in the tree I headed over and after some looking to my amazement I found it with a perfect chest shot.

2) Ground hog hunting with a buddy. On that trip I made a couple of kills in the 250-300 yd. range. Not seeing any hogs for a while we walked to another location. As we walked over the top of a cultivated field we could see for 500 yds.+ At some far distance in between there were a few crows so my buddy said lets see you shoot one of those crows. They were so far away I didn't waste my time getting down into a good shooting position to make a serious shot rather I just pulled up and shot way over their location and low and behold I killed one. Even more astonishing as I shot the crows few up and I actually killed one in the air. All I could think to say to my buddy was it would not have been sporting to have shot him on the ground.
bigguy54 likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

I was 16 or 17 and my dad was driving out a brush field for me. I climbed about 15 feet up a big maple tree so I could see more of it thinking he'd jump a deer up in front of me. I saw him coming through and turned around to look behind me across a cut field and a pond and someone else must have been in the valley behind me because about 15 deer came single file across the pond breast and stopped in the woods on the other side. One stepped in the clear and I could not get a shot because there was a big limb in my way. I hooked my boots under the branch in front of me and leaned over upside down and dropped her. My dad refused to believe me until I climbed down and we walked over there. A few years later we ranged it at 190 yards, total lucky shot.
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

thats what i am talking about. awesome stuff guys. lets keep them coming.
bigguy54 likes this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:44 PM

Being a little longer in the tooth now, I know it was a flat-out dumb shot.

1986...archery season...I was 17, my cousin was 16. We had seen a nice 8 point that liked to bed above what we called "Tim Harvey's Coalhole".

Well, I headed out to the old treestand on the 4th dam, and Dave snuck up through the bush above the 1st, on a slow sneak toward me.

Harvey's was in between the 1st and 2nd dams. As stated I was at the 4th....About 3/4 mile away as the crow flies. Open logging road above and below that whole bush though...The deer head straight through that bush when pushed, going for the thick chopoffs at the end.

Dave got that 8 moving along with 5 doe...The buck and 3 doe passed me up high at about 60 yards....No shot.

The other 2 doe came straight at me then veered low....The first one flashed through the shooting lane heading left to right at 30 yards, I drew the old Bear Alaskan and when the second one hit the left side on the lane, I sent an arrow down the right side of it.

I figured I shot WAY in front of her but could not see the fluorescent nock on the arrow. Climbed down...walked down the lane to the tree she passed and found churned up leaves. followed her path for a few yards and found a small spot of blood.

Dave got there at about that time and said he would follow the track for a little bit then circle into the beginning of the chop and bring it back....see if he could find the trail.

I didn't even get back to the base of the tree when Dave hollered to me...."Might as well come down, She's painting the bush red."

That was one of the unluckiest deer to have ever roamed these mountains. I didn't release too early, I actually released the arrow a split second late...The arrow hit a few inches behind the left shoulder, caught the rear of the lung, went through the diaphragm and centered the liver.

She only make it about 75 yards.

I looked at Dave and said..."You know what, That was Stupid"...He agreed.

I've never even thought about trying that again...I know my luck is all used up.
bigguy54 likes this.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM

A few years ago I scheduled a trip for my son & I to go to Texas (he would be the shooter), he dropped out at the last minute, so I took his place. I'd been seeing a lot of deer on my sits, but nothing I felt like shooting. Toward the end of the week, I was sitting in a box blind & saw a deer come out toward the feeder. I looked through the binocs and saw lots of horn, so decided I'd kill this one, about a 125 yard shot. After the shot, I saw the deer run off with it's tail up (not a good sign). I had trouble believing I'd missed, the rancher called and said he'd heard the shot, I told him I thought I'd thought I'd missed, but told him I was going to get down & go look. At the feeder, I found lots of good blood and a hunk of lung, so I knew I'd hit it good. I ALSO FOUND A HOLE IN ONE OF THE FEEDER LEGS!!, I'd hit the feeder and the bullet continued into the buck The rancher got permission to cross into the neighbor's property, and we found the buck about 125 yards from the feeder. When I skinned the deer, I found 2 holes in it's ribcage, I'm assuming the bullet fragmented after hitting the feeder leg.

bigguy54 likes this.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

nice buck, we need more stories.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

when i was a kid i saw a guy shoot a woodcock out of the air with a 22 pistol loaded with birdshot, fast draw and shot from the hip.

the look on his face was one of total disbelief.
bigguy54 likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 03:20 AM
The Man

It was a windy November night... I decided to use the Jack Rabbit Distress on my FoxPro FX5. I was using my Browning BPS 12 gauge Stalker with a Full Chole tube with a Bushnell Holosight and Remington # 5 shot Hevishot... As soon as I turned the sound on the 17 pound red fox in the picture went right toward the sound.. It was 45-50 yard shot. I fired at that distance and the fox started chasing his tail. You could see the eyes of the fox spinning around as it chased his tail.. It just dropped dead right there after chasing it's tail for about 20 seconds... For a shotgun it was a long shot but I really do think it was the Remington # 5 shot Hevishot that allowed me to make a good hit on it..
bigguy54 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 03:22 AM
The Man

I had this picture on here when I harvested the fox.. Let me tell you one thing.. It's not a photoshop.. The white on my hands is rubber latex gloves...
bigguy54 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page