Thank You - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By LenH
  • 1 Post By kudu58

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank You

Many folks have a list they write. Things they want to do before they die list basically. The lists vary greatly. Some things on people's lists are too out there and unattainable. Some are too short sighted and not really challenging. The one common theme to all the lists is dreaming. Don't wait until near the end of your life to start marking off the items on the list.

I put things on my bucket list as I experience them. I have no idea what they are until I actually do them. These things need to make me feel alive and appreciative of what I have lived and what I have to look forward to.

The movie the Bucket List had the wrong idea. The two friends in the movie waited too long to go out and experience life and truly live it. They began their quests when both were diagnosed with a terminal disease.

About twenty years ago I was asked by an acquaintance to go trout fishing opening day. As the date neared the weather forecast looked atrocious. It called for eight to twelve inches. I contemplated calling off the outing. The guy was driving all the way from Chicago in the the snow storm so who was I to cancel if he wanted to still go.

I met up near my home and we both took our vehicles to fish. The rural roads had not been plowed and we were the first fools to barrel through the eight inches already on the ground. I had a SUV so I went first and blazed the trail. He had a all wheel drive Subaru Wagon.

We got to our first destination. It took us twice as long to get there as I planned. I geared up and layered up. There was no wind. The snow was falling in large flakes directly to the ground. The snow fall made no sound and drown out all other sounds and senses. Everything in life slowed down. It seemed like I was watching a movie with me in it in slow motion.

We placed ourselves on each side of a large beaver dam. We methodically fished the beaver dam for a couple hours. The snow continued to fall. Snow built up on the bill of my cap. My glasses fogged up often and I needed to clean them off. The snow went down the back of my neck. The snow felt good on my face and as it melted and went down the back of my coat. My shoulders were covered with snow. My senses were hyperactive and I was amazed at how much I enjoyed this outing. It made me feel alive and appreciate life more.

Most people hate snow but the feeling that day was quite the opposite. Words can not describe the day properly. We walked back to the vehicles and decided we had fished enough. Four more inches had fallen while we fished and he had to return to Chicago. We had both caught lots of trout but that really didn't matter that day.

I took off all of my wet gear and jumped into the front seat of my vehicle. I typically write in a fishing log book right away in the car so I won't forget names, numbers and conditions of the outing. I have kept log books for thirty-five years. I sat there for a minute with a huge smile on my face. I wrote one thing in the book for the day. Bucket List.

My fishing partner snapped a couple photos of me as we fished. I have fished with many anglers through the years. The day was so special and believe it or not I can not remember who I fished with that day and took this photo of me. All I can say is thank you.
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:43 PM

Re: Thank You

Nice story Len, and a great picture, thanks for sharing....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 03:40 PM
The Man

Re: Thank You

Funny how that stuff works. That is a great story.

One year I was up at my camp for 9 days by myself. I pulled in to a stream to fish one morning and another truck pulled in at the same time. This other guy gets out and immediately starts chatting my ear off like we were long, lost friends.
I enjoyed the conversation we had and we ended up fishing the entire morning together, even though it was pouring rain and we had never met before.
Same as this story, we both caught a lot of trout that day and it was a great time. When we parted and went our separate ways, it dawned on me that we had never even exchanged names. To this day I wish I knew who that guy was and would like to meet him again.
In a week of solitude that I spent, I wish he knew how much I appreciated his company that day.
bigguy54 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page