Finding a cave in Philip Tome's Pioneer Life - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Finding a cave in Philip Tome's Pioneer Life

In Philip Tome's "Pioneer Life or Thirty Years a Hunter" he recounts an episode from December, 1811, when he shot a bear inside a fairly large cave on a raised rock platform somewhere between Cedar Run and Black Walnut Bottom in Lycoming Country. He discovered the cave (and the bear) while elk hunting when his dogs forced the elk on top of the rock platform. This would put it on or near SGL 68. Is this known to exist? Have any of you seen or heard about such a place?

Non est inquirendum, unde venit venison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:01 PM

Re: Finding a cave in Philip Tome's Pioneer Life

I would take any accounts described by the likes of Tome, or Meshach Browning with a grain of salt. Some accounts of theirs, even raising the eyebrow of historians. I'm sure it's not all trumped up, but.... As far as woodsmen that trapped and hunted in PA's centuries past, I'd take E.N. Woodcock's accounts as more truthful and accurate. Of course, he was more "modern" than the aforementioned. Trapping/Hunting from mid-19th to very early 20th centuries.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It wouldn't surprise me if there was. There's a good sized cave down near Jersey Shore on pine creek, and I've heard talk of others along that area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:22 AM

Lot of ground between Cedar Run and Black Walnut bottom. I'd say do some walking but not in the summer if you don't like rattlers. Maybe go up the creek and ask around. Might be able to catch someone from a nearby camp at a bar or something in hunting season.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 PM

About 1910, the state geological survey office published a book called the Caves of Pennsylvania. As I recall, it was about 140 pages and had descriptions and directions to a about 200 caves across the state. Some were even mapped out with the rooms and passages in the cave. I ran across a copy of it at the state library in Harrisburg back in the 1970's and photocopied the parts of the book dealing with SE PA. By the time I found the book, several of the caves had been destroyed by highway construction. One was filled in / covered over when the 322-422 intersection was built outside Hershey. Another near Bellegrove PA along the Swatara was intentionally blown by the volunteer fire dept up to prevent children from going in. There might be a reference to the cave in that book. Don't know whether an inter-library loan could get it for you
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Sweet find. I will definitely look for that. I'm thinking there should be a copy in Penn State's library system.

Non est inquirendum, unde venit venison.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 07:52 PM

This may be even easier. The Pennsylvania Cave Conservancy maintains a list of caves of the state, but access is restricted to members. However, the web site lists a Lycoming county "cave steward" named JD Lewis. http://caves.org/conservancy/pcc/Caves_PA.html Approach them with some tact and you may get the information without being a member. I would tell them that you are trying to corraborate a historical account of early 19th century Lycoming county by verifying, if possible, that a cave actually exists were indicated in the story. It is the truth anyway.

Good hunting!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM

there is a reference and pistures from a state book on caves at this site:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/pe...nia-caves.html
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 PM

this sounds like the same story but different author

The only problem with Un documented Caves is, there are no maps to get to them LoL I thought about reading up on different stories from the past and see if anything is mentioned on caves and came across one on Chief John Logan. He found a cave after shooting a deer and it ran inside of this cave. The cave had paintings on the walls and later Logan discovered there was another "room" with a pool of water with fish. I believe he was up that way "someplace" near McKean County. (Im not 100% positive on that tho)
The story I read never gave details on where the cave was at or it's name but it may be documented some where else in another story.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 AM
The Man

Most of the big caves in PA are formed by water flowing through and dissolving away limestone.

There is no limestone in that area that Philip Tome was talking about. So, he was surely not talking about the Penns Cave type of thing.

He was probably talking about some spaces in among big sandstone boulders. These can easily be big enough for a bear to hibernate in.

You see these groupings of big sandstone boulders here and there in the NC PA woods.

He's probably talking about a cave that's less than the size of an average living room.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page