Teen Expelled for Science Experiment? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Teen Expelled for Science Experiment?

We're getting more and more stupid in how we deal with children's behavior!

Teen Girl Expelled, Charged With a Felony After Science Experiment Goes Awry

Quote:
“Honestly, I don't think she meant to ever hurt anyone,” Principal Ron Pritchard told a Tampa Bay television station. “She wanted to see what would happen [when the chemicals mixed] and was shocked by what it did. Her mother is shocked too.”

In another era, Wilmot may have gotten scolded and sent back to class. But in this age of zero-tolerance policies, Wilmot is in deep trouble. She was arrested on Monday morning after the incident and charged with possession and discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device.
In turn, she was expelled and will finish her high school years in an expulsion program.
In another era we did experiments like this, with similiar results, at the direction of the science teacher. What happened to us when these experiments went awry? We got something from the school that we were supposed to get, WE LEARNED SOMETHING!!

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Banned

Re: Teen Expelled for Science Experiment?

Actually I don't think the school over reacted. What she did was build a bomb of the type people who manufacture drugs use. You can look up on the internet and find out how to build them. She was old enough to know if you build a bomb, there is a better than even chance it will explode. This was no science experiment, sanctioned and in a class room, it was screwing around with dangerous materials when mixed, in a school yard where others could have been injured or killed. Usually lye or caustic drain cleaner is used along with aluminum foil to make this kind of bomb. How would you feel if you goty a call that your child was in the hospital with chemical burns on his or her face because some other kid was playing at building a bomb? This was no more of a science experiment that when I as a kid put carbide and water in a milk can, let it cook off a while then put a match to a hole we drilled in the can to shoot the lid almost out of sight. We knew what would happen, a big boom and had we done it in the school yard on a school day, they would have given us the gate .

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

This is the only article I read on this, and it makes no mention of what part of the school she was in at the time nor what ingredients she used. It seemed to allude to her being in Science class at the time.

Even if she was on the playground, I still think the zero tolerance policy with expulsion, is excessive.

Shoot straight

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned

I do not agree with kost zero tolerence crap, like giving a kid the boot for a paper gun or a plastic knife in the lunch bag. However, even with zero tolerence, she should have been expelled because of the danger she created.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

If she created a dangerous situation, I would agree. But per the article even the local school officials, the Pricipal, said that she didn't. So then, who handed down the punishment? Someone that didn't know the situation but rather applied their one size fits all punishment, that's who.

Shoot straight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page