Forecast: 3 hurricanes to hit U.S. in 2013 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Forecast: 3 hurricanes to hit U.S. in 2013

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Forecast: 3 hurricanes to hit U.S. in 2013
</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">PETER MUCHA</span>,
Wednesday, May 15, 2013,

The coming hurricane season is expected to be more active than usual by several forecasters.
AccuWeather is the latest to join the chorus, forecasting 16 named tropical storms, eight of which will develop into hurricanes, four of them major, with three hurricanes making landfall in the United States.

An average Atlantic hurricane season - officially June 1 through November - has a dozen named storms, including six hurricanes, two of them major (Categories 3, 4 or 5). That's based on the three decades from 1981 to 2010.

Colorado State University's prediction, released last month, called for 18 major storms, including nine hurricanes, four of them major. The Weather Channel's numbers were 16, 9 and 5.

The accuracy and value of such forecasts can be questioned.

Last year, for example, AccuWeather called for a busy season, with 10 hurricanes. Instead, there were five.

And yet it produced Sandy, the largest hurricane on record and the second worst in terms of economic impact, causing an estimated $75 billion in damage. Only Hurricane Katrina, which struck New Orleans in 2005, ranks as a bigger catastrophe.

So hurricane counts suggest a very partial story.

No long-range forecast can predict the timing and track of future major storms.

"The exact areas to be directly impacted this season and the severity of those impacts remain unclear," notes AccuWeather writer Jillian MacMath.

But forecasters are concerned about ways to better warn the public, in hopes of saving lives, alleviating property damage, and steering evacuation strategies.

Two areas being addressed: Warning about the dangers of storm surges, and continuing to warn the public that storms like Sandy can be devastating even after officially losing hurricane status.

So said National Hurricane Center director Rick Knabb, according to a discussion at WeatherUnderground.com.

"Now the hurricane center will continue to put out warnings and advisories if a storm threatens people and land, even if it's no longer called a hurricane or tropical storm," according to Weather Underground.

"2012 was all about water, water, water. Debby, Isaac, Sandy," Knabb said. "It was storm surge from the ocean, it was inland flooding, it was river flooding."

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Sage

Re: Forecast: 3 hurricanes to hit U.S. in 2013

We could take a year or two off from all this........
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 AM

I was in NC in 1997 with Hurricane Fran and that was bad enough cat 3 .... I'll take snow anyday vs big windy storms with lots of rain

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Administrator

I cant believe how gullible people can be! Any meteorologist with the slightest shred of honesty will admit that forecasting the weather gets shakey as soon as you get beyond five days, but these jokers are talking about hurricanes months in advance and people eat it right up.

MAGA 2020
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

I donít listen to what they say until they are 2 or 3 days out.
Do not know how many times I went down after work and pulled out the boat in the dark because they were calling for a near hit the next AM along the Jersey coast, only to awake to no wind or rain and beautiful blue skies.
Last season seemed like the European model was better predicting coastal storms then the ones AccuWeather followed.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 02:41 AM

Yes 3 days is about the limit ... just look at the cones of impact they show during hurricane season ... further out the larger the error probability.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Utility workers.... Only people in the world who like hurricanes. Storm work baby, bring it on!

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page