Thoughts on Urgent Care - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to waynectyhunter
Thoughts on Urgent Care

What do you guys think about urgent care facilities?

In October, the Urgent Care failed to diagnosis my fiance's sprained ankle and insisted that only her foot was broken. Four weeks later, she still couldn't put any weight on the foot. We went to the podiatrist and he said, the foot was not a big deal, that she had a severe sprain in her ankle. Put an air cast on the ankle and she was better in 10 days.

Fast forward to this week. Chest and stomach pains that have a stabbing feel. Doctor at Urgent Care (tried a different one this time) says nothing is wrong, that it was just a bug. Go on a non-meat/dairy diet.

Four days later, pains have amplified. I called Urgent Care and they said come in for another visit. I asked what they would do differently this time and they said they couldn't tell me over the phone.

My question: are urgent care facilities a scam? Lull people into thinking they can handle medical problems when they are only equipped to handle the most minor ailments (colds, shallow lacerations, fevers, etc)?????

Live Free or Die
I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Re: Thoughts on Urgent Care

Here's my thoughts on Urgent care facilities.....they are just that. Urgent Care and not Emergency care. I.e. trauma etc. strictly a triage type facility and 9-10 if its something less thx. Life threatening they are ok, and are good for those folks who shouldn't be clogging up an ER. Or do not have access to their family doctor 24/7.

One good thing for me about those urgent care facilities is the fact I only have to pay my reg co pay vs my ER co pay. Which for me is a saving of 125.00..

I've learned that any chest pain or extreme stomach pain, I'm gonna spend the $125.00 more and go to an ER vs urgent care.

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Sage

How many failed attempts do you need to be convinced...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Banned

My Dr's office has signs in every treatment room warning about these places and has several examples of things they screwed up for patients.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Sage

I think you go to those places for minor infections or colds and the flu and basic medical care. Anything more serious, I'd go to the ER.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Have used them several times at the shore for stitches or something like a sinus infection. The one I used were convenient and kept me from a 6 hr wait over at the ER. Most are a 7 day operation with long hours.

This is just a step up from the Minuit clinics many of the big box pharmacies have, which you will only be seen by a nurse practitioner or Physicians assistant.

For suspicion of heart attacks or stroke or serious medical issue 911 is the way to go

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM
GIE
Banned

These facilities are out there for a certain purpose and serve that purpose very well.

We shouldn't blame them for people that try to use them for something they are not.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM

we have had great luck there...cant say enough good about the place.....our avg wait at or er is around 5 hours...there is about 20 min
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynectyhunter
What do you guys think about urgent care facilities?

In October, the Urgent Care failed to diagnosis my fiance's sprained ankle and insisted that only her foot was broken. Four weeks later, she still couldn't put any weight on the foot. We went to the podiatrist and he said, the foot was not a big deal, that she had a severe sprain in her ankle. Put an air cast on the ankle and she was better in 10 days.
huuhh?

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM

Can't complain too much. Gone to them a few times for this and that. Also I use them at work for pre-employment and post accident drug screenings, they are convenient.

Be aware of a couple of things though, in <span style="font-style: italic">my experience </span>most of the time you are treated by the Physicians Assistant unless it is a more serious case. Additionally be aware that they will bill your insurance for the Doctor on duty. Meaning that if 90% of the time they are an Emergency Room Doctor items will be billed under his code. (i.e. ER) but if they are a private practioner (sp) it will be billed as such.

*Again, these are events from personal experience it may noy be indicative of all Urgent Care/MedExpress facilities.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page