Low down, filthy, rotten, stinking...... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Low down, filthy, rotten, stinking......

.......no good, miserable, scum sucking, rassin frassin thieves!
My house in Sharon is on the market and actually sold at this point. The buyer is going to level it so I have all the salvage rights before closing. I got a call from the water company telling me they were shutting off the water due to high usage. I have a steam boiler and needed it to be running so the realator could show the house. I ran up to the house expecting the copper to be gone. I found someone kicked in a basement window over the wash tub and when they crawled in, they stepped on a faucet and broke it and flooded the laundry room. The so-and-so then proceed to go upstairs and steal the 8ft X 2ft stained glass window in my dining room and one of the four leaded, beveled glass windows in my living room, both circa 1920. My uncle and I got the rest of the leaded glass windows out and boarded up. I'm going back after work to get the beveled glass french doors and cabinet doors before they come back for them. With the market being as crappy as it is, especially here, I was counting on reselling much of what was in the house to make up what I'm losing on it (the house has beautiful 6" oak trim that still has the original finish on it along with crystal nobs on every door and drawer in the house)That stained glass window was worth some pretty good coin. The lady at my insurance company asked what the cost to replace was and I told her it wasn't like I could go to Lowes and pick up another one. Just makes you want to pummle someone.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Low down, filthy, rotten, stinking......

Have you heard of ADT????? Vacant houses are a priority for thieves now since copper is at huge prices...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM

I'd call the cops. I mean, that's B&E and vandalism is it not? Send them scum to jail or at leat take the action to give them a record. FWIW, back in the 60's when "redevelopment" was all the rage, there were tracts of housing in Squirrel Hill and McKeesport that fell victum. My dad got permits to remove certain items (bathroom sets mostly) and we would spend weekends removing these things and then sell them. Learned a lot about plumbing that way. Never thought about copper in them days.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

This is the new normal
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to start stripping the house this weekend unless they beat me to it and get there first.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
.......no good, miserable, scum sucking, rassin frassin thieves!
My house in Sharon is on the market and actually sold at this point. The buyer is going to level it so I have all the salvage rights before closing. I got a call from the water company telling me they were shutting off the water due to high usage. I have a steam boiler and needed it to be running so the realator could show the house. I ran up to the house expecting the copper to be gone. I found someone kicked in a basement window over the wash tub and when they crawled in, they stepped on a faucet and broke it and flooded the laundry room. The so-and-so then proceed to go upstairs and steal the 8ft X 2ft stained glass window in my dining room and one of the four leaded, beveled glass windows in my living room, both circa 1920. My uncle and I got the rest of the leaded glass windows out and boarded up. I'm going back after work to get the beveled glass french doors and cabinet doors before they come back for them. With the market being as crappy as it is, especially here, I was counting on reselling much of what was in the house to make up what I'm losing on it (the house has beautiful 6" oak trim that still has the original finish on it along with crystal nobs on every door and drawer in the house)That stained glass window was worth some pretty good coin. The lady at my insurance company asked what the cost to replace was and I told her it wasn't like I could go to Lowes and pick up another one. Just makes you want to pummle someone.
That's stinks,I hate liars and thieves and the law should allow for justifiable beatings.

Just be forewarned.The insurance will only pay the replacement cost if you actually replace the items.If you don't replace them,you'll get the actual cash value.They should send an adjuster that will come up with a value.Insurance companies hate vacant properties and they can give you a legitimate problem.As long as the utilities were still on,you'll most likely be ok.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

That [censored]!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I talked to my insurance company and they're sending out an adjustor. They groused at me for still having full coverage on the house since I wasn't living there. They told me I should have adjusted the policy to reflect that. I asked them how was I supposed to know that. I told them this is the first house I ever put on the market so I thought I was doing a wise thing by keeping the insurance on it until I sold it. These kind of burglaries and thefts are very common around here and windows like what I had taken are favored loot. Its also not uncommon around here for some fire bug to light up a vacant house. I've been checking the house regularly and found out through the water company this happened late Monday night/early Tuesday morning. I'm sure they'll try to pay the least amount possible. They gave me a run around after my house got broken into a couple years ago and all my wife's jewelry got stolen. They acted like it was my fault some scum bag kicked open the door and took my things. It took a pretty stern and candid conversation with a supervisor to get it straightened out. I've had the house over 15 years and this is only the second claim I have ever filed so they have gotten more of my money than I'll ever get of theirs.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Sage

sorry to hear that Buckethead... Hope it eventually works out for you

wmu 3A
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That is what happens when the city lets the best police officers move out of the city.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page