Old Ironsides Sails Again Under Own Power - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Old Ironsides Sails Again Under Own Power

The world's oldest commissioned warship will sail under its own power for just the second time in more than a century to commemorate the battle that won it the nickname "Old Ironsides."

The USS Constitution, which was first launched in 1797, will be tugged from its berth in Boston Harbor on Sunday to the main deepwater pathway into the harbor. It will then set out to open seas for a 10-minute cruise.

The short trip marks the day two centuries ago when the Constitution bested the British frigate HMS Guerriere in a fierce battle during the War of 1812. It follows a three-year restoration project and is the first time the Constitution has been to sea on its own since its 200th birthday in 1997.

Before that, it hadn't sailed under its own power since 1881. The Constitution is periodically tugged into the harbor for historical display.......

The Constitution was under the command of Capt. Issac Hull when it engaged the Guerriere off Nova Scotia on Aug. 19, 1812. The young war was not going well for America, which had surrendered Detroit to the British with basically no resistance a week earlier.

But the Guerriere proved no match for the Constitution, which was heavier and longer. The vessels blasted away at each other at close range, even colliding at one point, during the 35-minute battle. The Constitution's 24-pound cannonballs felled the Guerriere's mast, while the British vessels' 18-pound cannonballs had trouble penetrating the Constitution's two-foot thick live oak hull, said Matthew Brenckle, a historian at the USS Constitution Museum.

Brenckle said a sailor's memoirs recorded how one cannonball seemed to slightly penetrate the ship, before dropping into the sea. The sailor then called out the quote that would give the Constitution its nickname, "Huzzah, her sides are made of iron! See where the shot fell out!"

During Sunday's sail, the Constitution's crew of about 65, accompanied by 150 sailors selected to be part of event, will unfurl four of its 36 sails, ....And the trip can't happen unless the weather conditions are right.

The ship won't move in winds less than five mph and anything over about 15 mph would put too much stress on the vessel, Neely said. But the forecast looks favorable.

..The crew also underwent extensive training on how to handle a vessel that's unlike any other in the U.S. Navy.

"A lot of hours of work went into this one day right here," Neely said. "I wouldn't be surprised if I broke a couple of tears after this."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-5749...tury/?tag=strip

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Sage

Re: Old Ironsides Sails Again Under Own Power

I would love to be on that old girl when she sails!

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:03 PM
The Man

As would I

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Administrator

I had the priviledge of walking her decks while she was being refitted in the mid 1990s. It's an experience that one never forgets, and I highly reccommend that everyone take a day or more to go to Boston and pay her a visit.

MAGA 2020
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Sage

I paid her a visit in 1978.......
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Sage

I have been on the Constellation in Baltimore, similar ship.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
I have been on the Constellation in Baltimore, similar ship.
Yep, I've visited the USS. Constellation and the sub and cutter tied next to her. I hope the City of Baltimore has gotten rid of the undesirables that infested the Inner Harbor area at the time so people can again take their families to visit these historical things and places.

MAGA 2020
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Sage

If you stay within a block of the Inner Harbor and Fells Point it is safe. Get beyond that, it is no mans land.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My wife and I saw the ship 2 years ago and it was awesome!As for Inner Harbor:my wife and I went to an orioles game and then walked back to our hotel at around 11:00 pm We almost didn't make it thats all I'll say.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There was a frigate Constellation, built a sister ship to Old Ironsides, but the sloop Constellation is not that ship. The Constellation was supposedly built with materials salvaged from the original frigate Constellation.

"Old Ironsides" and her sister ships were built to be faster than the ships of the line of the day, and built stouter and carried heavier cannon than the other frigates of the day. The almost unlimited lumber resources of the young United States made it possible for our ship builders and designers to do things that they couldn't do in Europe at the time.

I hope there is good footage available somewhere of that short voyage, I'd love to see it.

80% of Americans believe in miracles. The other 20% have been audited.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page