Any business management majors out there? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Any business management majors out there?

I am starting in the fall going back to school for my business management degree. I just got my books for the 3 classes i am taking online this year. I was wondering what advice any of you guys have for this career path and schooling. Also things you hate and love about your management position. I am a mechanical designer now and my company is paying for me to go back and told me the only thing holding me from a upper level supervisor position is the degree. I am taking micro economics this fall and it looks pretty interesting.

I know it sounds crazy having a full time job, my own business, going for a bachelors degree, and a newborn baby but i know this is all for the best a few years down the road. I think you only need 3 hours of sleep to survive. LOL

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM
dce
Sage

Re: Any business management majors out there?

Mike I have a bachelors degree in business management from PSU.To be honest,I woudn't recommend anyone wasting their time and money.It's basically applied commonsense.I own an insurance agency and I do aplly certain things that I learned in college but that all could have been learned with experience or with a 6 week crash course.From what I experienced,unless you really spwcialize in something else at the same time,you'll get a retail or sales position.

In your case,you're not the one dishing out the money so it will most likely be a good experience.There are some interesting classes.I took alot of sociology and psych classes that were pretty cool.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'll agree with dce, I have a business minor, and aside from the accounting classes, its all common sense. But that being said, it does look good on a resume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

To a point I agree with both of the above posters. I have a -- in Management, a -- in Management Information Systems and Im in the process of getting my MBA. Truth about most college majors is a lot applies to common sense but there still is a lot you learn that otherwise the average person does not have an understanding of. However, obtaining a degree is more than just the degree, its the process of getting the degree that in my mind is also important and typically just as important to job seekers that are hiring recent grads. Proving that you can delegate real word (job, family life, personal life...)and pass college is what job seekers are looking for. Though to some a degree is only a piece of paper to others like bowmikes company its the difference between a regular position and upper management. Just because some people find their degree usless doesnt mean said degree is usless.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperX2Nut
I'll agree with dce, I have a business minor, and aside from the accounting classes, its all common sense. But that being said, it does look good on a resume.
It is only about the paper the degree is printed on. I tell people often, the best managers are the ones who never received the degree. Unfortunately, most will never have the chance to manage without the degree. The papers are the most important first step in management!

If I were to be given the chance to go back, I would focus on financials, math, and business statistics. Management philosophies are common sense and the fact you are going back with so much going on in your life, tells me you already know how to manage.

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 PM

I have a BSBA and much like a few of the other posters,I feel it's more about the earning of a degree than the actual knowledge gained.

My suggestion is to get as much of a concentration in other fields also...Accounting, Finance, Management, Marketing etc. The more well rounded you are the more attractive you are to potential employers.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Advanced schooling, doesn't necessarily teach you that much that you will use, but it teach you how to learn.. which is more important.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -&gt; BANG
KingRon
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bowmike, think about the degree as a stepping stone. You had reached your highest point in that company without a degree. The fact the company is financially backing you is a huge perk.
Use the piece of paper (degree) to grow yourself. I am not interested in where the degree is from as much as the journey to get it. It shows a future employer many positives about you. It will set you apart from others.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page