Aero Toolbox drawers locked - Need help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Aero Toolbox drawers locked - Need help

Ok, long story short, my neighbor gave me his old Aero wheeled toolbox. It was in ok shape, aside from having a small amount of rust and some scratches and such, so I took a wire wheel to it last night to clean it up. The plan is \ was, to do that, prime and paint it.

I laid a 2 x 6 on the floor and flipped the cabinet from side to side as I wire wheeled. Once I was done with the sides and back, I laid it on it's back and did the front frame before calling it a night. When I finished, I stood it up and decided to see if I could figure out how to remove the drawers. Well, they're locked. I don't know how, but they are.

The only lock on the whole cabinet, is on the bottom door and the tab that flips into the slot to lock that door shut is gone. It is a base cabinet so there is no lid that controls the drawers like on some other cabinets I've seen.

Any ideas on how to unlock it? I can flip open that bottom door and gain access to the cubby under the drawers and such. That's it though.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Aero Toolbox drawers locked - Need help

open the lower section then try the drawers.

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I did that. That was the only thing I could do.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Sage

Do you have a sawzall, probably in the toolbox, huh?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM

When the lower door/hatch is closed it moves a lever that locks the drawers. When that hatch is opened the whole way it unlocks drawers. Check is see if that lever is connected to hatch. It may have become dislodged when flipping cabinet around.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Try setting it down the top.Then see if the drawers will open.If they do remove them and then remove or disable the gravity lock.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My old Snap On Bottom has a spring loaded metal rod along the top of the bottom opening.

Closing the door pushed the rod up to make the drawer lock work. Then the lock secured the door shut making it hold the drawer lock.

sounds like you had something move when you were turning it over, did the drawers open b/4 you started?

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Sage

I hear TNT will open it.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:02 PM

If the lock is the typical barrel variety you can try the ancient, yet workable, paddle and rake. Get a piece of metal banding tape that is thin enough to fit all the way into the lock then file a series of "teeth" into the tape. This will be your key. Now take another piece of the metal tape and fashon a small paddle on one end. Bend the paddle at a slight angle so you can exert some leverage on it. Now insert the "key" in the lock and rake it in/out while at the same time having the paddle inserted in the lock and with slight torque place on it towarrd the unlocking action. With luck and a cheap lock it may open. I know this is along shot but I have had it work for me in the past. PS - do not keep the paddle and rake even if they work as they can be seen by some as burgler tools.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Sage

Most everything you have in your tool box can be considered burglary tools if you have them in you pocket at O dark thirty poking around in a neighborhood. It s even legal to have a lock picking device in your tool box.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page