Hybrid Or Mountain Bike??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Hybrid Or Mountain Bike???

For those that ride the trails and rail road beds of PA. What do you prefer?

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 AM

Re: Hybrid Or Mountain Bike???

This is a great question Sir!! I am looking for my first bike as well in many years. I need it for 50/50 street and trail. Not crazy heavy offroad trail though.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Sage

I prefer my Big Bear Yamaha 400.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Suzuki DRZ 400
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

I went with a hybrid. I just got a Cannondale. It is great for trails and road beds. If you were on logging roads only then definitely a mountian bike. I still take mine on pavement more than the rails to trails type of rails just due to availability. If you want to ride the roads for any length of time then the hybrid is really a lot nicer.

The best way to to go to a bike shop and test them both out. The answer will be obvious. Reading and research will only get you so far. The real test is the feel for the bike.

There's hunting and there's hunting with a good dog
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM

I got a Prius.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 PM

Get a mountain bike. Hybrids aren't built to take the abuse of any real trail riding. Hybrids are just that....a combination of features from road, leisure and mtb's.....that usually isn't the best option. You can very easily make a mtb suitable for the road or smooth RR trails(tires, air pressure, etc.), but it just doesn't work well the other way around.

Your budget and what you want to do with the bike make a difference. Go to your local bike shop, talk to them and ride some bikes. If I were to ever ride trails I wouldn't want a rigid fork. You don't need a full $u$pen$ion rig either if you're only on trails a little bit....I ride a hardtail regularly on rough trails and can't justify a full-$qui$h!

It all depends on what you want to spend for what you need. Pricing on bikes is mostly components. That means it's the quality of the 'stuff' like derailleurs, cranks, brakes, chainrings, cassettes, fork, etc. pretty much drive the price. In bikes it truly is a cost for quality too....not just a mark-up.

If you know your way around bikes(wrenching, setup, maint. etc.), know what you want and what size there's an online retailer that has some of the best prices, but no support(this is where your LBS is as good as gold!). I recommend the LBS route.....and I've done it both ways!

I'm afflicted with some kind of mountain biking disease that keeps me up to snuff on the gadgets and all that good stuff. Ask away and I'll do my best to answer any questions or help out any way I can.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon
This is a great question Sir!! I am looking for my first bike as well in many years. I need it for 50/50 street and trail. Not crazy heavy offroad trail though.
What are considering heavy? Both of my MTB's are under 30lbs and I didn't really even try to get them there. Most entry level aluminum framed bikes are going to come in around 30-35lbs stock....depending on size. There's lots of ways to drop that down to 25lbs....then it starts getting expensive.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Wait....you meant not for heavy offroad use, didn't you?

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
The Man

The reason I asked. I just picked up a nice hybrid at walmart. Its a Schwinn. I know its not the same quality as the Schwinn I bought from Martin's 15 years ago. I was in the InGear shop in Annville the other day, I was not impressed with the $600 price tag for the bike I was interested in. Like everything else, you get what you pay for I guess.

This new bike is an all aluminum frame. It has the same side pulling brakes as the big price bike. Same thinner tires. But for $250. I like to ride the rails for trails from Lebanon to the Cornwall Iron Bridge and back. Its just over 10 miles. The Schwinn MTB kills me when I return. I just figured the hybrid will be a little easier, but also faster due to the lighter weight.

One word to the wise. I went over this bike from top to bottom and every nut and bolt. Made sure all the cables went under the handle bars. Once out in the parking lot I tighten everything down and rode this bike all over the parking lot. I was very satisfied with my purchase. Pacific Bicycle owns the Schwinn name, its not the same as years past. None the less its still a pretty darn good bike for the money. The only problem is the people that put these things together! In the three different walmarts I was in, the Palmyra store is about the best to buy from. I talked to a guy that works there part time assembling bikes there. We both looked at bikes that were not put together with any sense of seeing what they are doing! Tires installed different on both front and back. Cables going up over the handle bars. Brake and shift levers in such a position that they are hard to use. Among a few other little things.

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page