Exhaust systems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust systems

Hello all,

After 187,000 miles, the old truck needs a new exhaust system. Anybody have any sugestions?

Is this something I do at a monroe shop, or should I buy a system from magnaflow, flowmaster, ect.? Just looking for a factory sound(quiet as a mouse), and something that will last. Looking to go from the headers back, so that also means two new catylitic converters(groan) and probably 4 new o2 sensors(double groan).

I've sworn off doing exhaust work myself after the "Mercury Mishap", so I have no idea on what to do here. Guy up the road does a 5 year warranty on his exhaust work, but I got 12 years out of the factory one...maybe have the dealer do it...any ideas?

If it helps, it's an 01' Tundra with a 4.7, and I'm in the Saint Marys area.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM

Re: Exhaust systems

i wouldn't go to the dealer, can you imagine the cost of a cat. convertor from them? just go to your local guy and get aftermarket cats, they should be around $50. have them do the work.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 PM

Monroe will fleece you and so will a dealer. I can tell you now, no matter where you go, those cats aint gonna be cheap. Do they have to be replaced or could you put the old ones back in?

I have found that, for exausts, the replacements never last as long as the OEM. But, I dont think the guy that gives five year guarantees has to replace too many things. That would be the bare minimum I'd expect an exaust to last, unless your truck spends a lot of time under water.

If I were you, I'd try to find a ma and pa type garage that would do it cheaper than a dealer and Monroe, and might be willing to reuse the cats you have. I can totally relate to not doing it yourself, unless you have torches, a lift, a welder and a lot of band aids for your fingers and knuckles.

Good luck.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check your local speed shop, there are several manufacturers making 'cat - back' exhaust systems; literally everything you need from behind the cats...

You wil never get one that lasts as long as the factory one. My daughter just traded in my 99 Grand Am, it still had the original Stainless Steel factory system.

Gibson and Borla are two makers w/ decient reputations.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
If I were you, I'd try to find a ma and pa type garage that would do it cheaper than a dealer and Monroe, and might be willing to reuse the cats you have.
That's the business I deal with.

He makes money , I save alot of money.

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice...I think I know who I'm going to have do it(mom and pop shop), but I was hoping someone knew of a sucker who offered a lifetime warranty on their systems...kind of like autozone does with their brakes, I paid $64 for a set of front pads 10 years ago, and they have to smile and hand me a new set when I need them...I guess they don't think people hold on to their cars as long in this day and age.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

ever look into summit racing for your exhaust? got parts the other day from them for the wifes car. fantastic service and shipped that day

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

I've ordered parts through them, and you're right, they do have great service, but the only place that warranties his exhaust around here marks up his price 20% if you bring your own parts.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Part of the Community

Puma you might want to check the Autozone brake policy. They did away with it a few years back and won't warrent their original contract anymmore. The wifes 03 Impala is on it's 3rd set from Autozone and they made me sign a waiver to get the pads the last time. I still saved a butt load of $ on the pads over the years though. 196,000 and still running strong.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Only replace what is bad...If you do not live in an emissions area do not worry about the cats..Sears sells electric grinders that cut through bolts like butter..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page