power outage - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

power outage

we lost power thursday around 4 pm and just got it back saturday at around 4 pm. man that stunk.....how long have you guys been without power and what did you do while it was out?

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Sage

Re: power outage

I was out of power four times in four weeks, the longerst for 14 hours. Not as long as you but it stinks not to have AC when it is 98 degrees and humid.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

<span style="font-style: italic">what did you do while it was out?</span>

Drank beer out of the ice chest and ran the generator to save the freezer......

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 PM
The Man

When Ike came thru a few years ago, we were out for a week. It was nice out, so it was like camping. We hauled water from a local spring, and took showers in town. I borrowed a big generator (I have a small one we ran lights off of) to cycle the freezer and fridge on for several hours each day.

did you get all that on camera sport?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:44 AM
The Man

I bought a Generac last year, got sick of loosing power for days at a time. Power went out during storms one evening last week....10 seconds later the Genrac had the juice going again.....never left my recliner...........

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 01:20 PM
The Man

When I worked for the Co-op the longest outage was when the tornadoes went through German Hill/Tionesta in 1985. Some residents were out for 15 days, some camps out for 16/17 days. We worked 40 some hrs straight, were called in for some rest then worked 16 hr days for 14 days straight.

A couple of us were sent to North Carolina in 1995 to work after hurricane Fran hit Wake County. Some were out down there for 9 days. The "city folks", as the locals called them, had a terrible time handling the outages.

There were people there selling chain saws out of the back of pickups, double the price. People buying them didn't know anything about a saw, burnt them up in no time. The cheapest ice was selling for $5 a small bag. There were some real scum that came into that area to feed on those peoples misery. We saw license plates from as far away as Texas and Oklahoma selling saws and generators.

We put our saws and climbing gear in the bucket and raised it straight up at night when we were back at the motel so the stuff didn't get lifted while we were sleeping.

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treestand91
we lost power thursday around 4 pm and just got it back saturday at around 4 pm. man that stunk.....how long have you guys been without power and what did you do while it was out?
Hurricane Lee last september.

Electric went off at 06:25 Sunday Morning, never got it back till Wednesday at 23:30!

I LOVED IT!

No TV, No Computer, Enjoyed helping the neighbors for 4 days cleaning up the aftermath of hurricane lee!

Cooked on a Gas & Charcoal Grills and used a mini Colman 1 burner stoves to boil water to make tea and coffee, Colman Lantern provided Light at night.

Only pain in the Rear that was involved with all of it...Wife and Daughter were being a Pain about their Cell Phones not being charged and they could not Text others! BOOHOO They bothered the Neighbors that still had electric so they could charge their Cell Phones!

I had no cares in the world! So the Electric was out, SO WHAT! I had ways of making hot food & Tea and Coffee and ways to get water to use to clean up! To many have no clue how to even rub 2 sticks together to make a fire while the matches and lighter sits in front of their faces and they have no clue to even begin to live without Electric! What a Shame!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Sage

I know how to do those things, and have done them. I prefer having electricity.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Our only "winter storm" last October knocked out power for about 7 days here in my neck of SE PA. That's the 1st time in 20+ years that we've been out that long. Have plenty of oil lamps, grilled food and loaded up the fridge/freezer with ice(did lose some food). Did have to go get some fresh batteries(D's) only flashlite that had good ones in was my mini-mag + my rechargable work lite(I could charge the cellphone in the truck but not the lite). Fortunately it wasn't to cold(above freezing) so heat wasn't an issue.

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now? Douglas Adams
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 PM
The Man

20 years ago our local power company had 6 or 7 line crews, now they have 2. The power companys have cut cost like all business's had to.....the result is longer power outages.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page