How Penn State Could Have Fought The NCAA And Won - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

How Penn State Could Have Fought The NCAA And Won

Interesting article, written by someone with more legal knowledge than me. Obviously, it would have been a P.R. nightmare.

How Penn State could have fought the NCAA and Won.

You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Re: How Penn State Could Have Fought The NCAA And Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfb74's link
But a 1988 decision, NCAA v. Tarkanian, affirmed the NCAA's power to punish schools without regard for due-process standards. Even though the association included state universities—governmental organs—as its members, and even though it held a great deal of authority over those members, the court ruled that the NCAA was not a state actor itself

Can we please at least stop all the "due process" grousing now?

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfb74's link
But a 1988 decision, NCAA v. Tarkanian, affirmed the NCAA's power to punish schools without regard for due-process standards. Even though the association included state universities—governmental organs—as its members, and even though it held a great deal of authority over those members, the court ruled that the NCAA was not a state actor itself

Can we please at least stop all the "due process" grousing now?
You left out the very next paragraph which is equally important:

"Since then, we've been left with two different standards for NCAA punishment: The organization can intervene in matters concerning individuals—eligibility and the like—but mostly cannot in big financial matters."

Would you agree that this is a "big financial matter"?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Sage

I agree that it would have been a PR nightmare that would have likely put taxpayer funding in the future at stake.

Honestly, at some point you and others have to accept that this hurts - but it could be far worse. Just as important, PSU can recover, and even prosper from this.

Let it go. it is out of your hands now as it was a week or six months ago. The school and administration accepted the penalties - done - finished - complete.

Time to move on.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 PM

I'm talking about everyone yelling "Due process" when it clearly doesn't apply in this matter. It was making me nuts.

A 'big financial matter" is all relative. The fine is a whole lot less than they made while the cover up was rolling. The fine is a whole lot less than what it would cost them if they tried to fight this thing, both in legal bills and loss of revenue because of, as you put it, "a PR nightmare". The fine would be a non factor if they just did the right thing to begin with. Beat this horse all you want, grasp at all the straws you want. But you're still going to have a pretty crappy football experience for the next four years. Mainly because PSU finally decided to do the right thing and accepted the punishment.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

I thought it was an interesting article and I wanted to discuss it with other people who may or may not agree with me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If you don't like my posts, stop reading them. You keep coming on here and blasting me for my views just because they aren't the same as yours. We obviously don't agree. Time take your own advice...accept that and move on.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 PM
The Man

I, as well as a lot of other people, are sick of hearing about this mess. They, from the top dog Joe Pa, to Big Red, didn't do the right thing and just beat the crap out of Sandusky the first time they saw/hear of any of the sick things he was doing to kids.

If they would have put a stop to it on day one Penn State wouldn't be in the mess it's in now. IMO they are lucky they didn't get hit harder.

All the legal eagles in the world are not going to change the horrible things those kids had to go through that will stay with them the rest of their lives.

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Redneck
I, as well as a lot of other people, are sick of hearing about this mess. They, from the top dog Joe Pa, to Big Red, didn't do the right thing and just beat the crap out of Sandusky the first time they saw/hear of any of the sick things he was doing to kids.

If they would have put a stop to it on day one Penn State wouldn't be in the mess it's in now. IMO they are lucky they didn't get hit harder.

All the legal eagles in the world are not going to change the horrible things those kids had to go through that will stay with them the rest of their lives.
i agree. poor child was tortured by this monster and those that covered it up are just as guilty. there is no room in this world for predators.

3a/5c
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 PM

No one disagrees with that. But Bill O'Brien and his team didn't do that. Same with USC, Pete Carrol and Reggie Bush don't give a crap about the NCAA sanctions.

"But Penn State's transgressions, wretched though they were, didn't jeopardize competition or scholarship."

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 PM

http://chronicle.com/article/Freeh-G...icizes/133213/

"The Freeh team reviewed how Penn State operated, not how they worked within the NCAA's system," this person said. "The NCAA's job is to investigate whether Penn State broke its rules and whether it gained a competitive advantage in doing so."

Sounds like something I've been saying on here, which is considered "whining"

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page