Penn State Faculty Members Starting to Speak Up - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Penn State Faculty Members Starting to Speak Up

One Faculty Member's Position on the Current State of Affairs

Quote:
On Monday, the same day that Mark Emmert of the NCAA was issuing sanctions and issuing his sanctimonious decree that Penn State should reform its culture and put academics ahead of football, the NCAA released the latest statistics on graduation rates of football players at large NCAA schools. Penn State is #1, and so far ahead academically of the next closest school in terms of graduating football players (and basketball players, by the way), including showing virtually no difference between white and black athletes, which the report noted was extremely rare, that
Quote:
The claims of the Freeh report, the NCAA, ESPN, and others claiming to describe the “culture” at Penn State ignore, in no particular order of priority, (1) the recent (2011) Wall Street Journal poll ranking Penn State #1 among employers nationally in terms of where they feel they find the highest quality college graduates as employees, (2) Penn State’s ranking as the # 1 government research institution in the United States, (3) the previously mentioned ranking of # 1 in graduation rate among all student athletes, specifically football players, (4) a 2011 or 2012 ranking by a Cambridge University study ranking Penn State among the top 100 academic institutions IN THE WORLD, and on and on and on.
Quote:
One guy did it, and it is possible that a number of people (including, among others, Penn State administrators, various police agencies, child welfare agencies, various school administrators in Lock Haven and elsewhere, Second Mile administrators and board members, state prosecutors, etc.) screwed up in not following up as aggressively as maybe they should have (Whether this is actually the case depends a lot on what and who you believe. I think the Freeh report leaves a lot to be desired in terms of completeness, accuracy, and objectivity on this point.). The media has found something as appealing as Greek tragedy in this story and they will not let go. Someone needs to stand up and tell them that their description of the Penn State culture is a travesty, which it is! Erickson, and whoever he’s listening to, don’t seem to be the folks to do this.

Holy Cheese and Crackers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 PM

Re: Penn State Faculty Members Starting to Speak Up

Quote:
From all indications so far, including reactions from newly elected trustees Anthony Lubrano and Adam Taliaferro, it appears that Erickson signed the NCAA consent decree without involvement or approval of the Board of Trustees. I don’t believe that he has the unilateral authority to commit the University to this level of liability. If this is the case, he should probably be fired as quickly as the Board fired Graham Spanier. He has committed the University to what is estimated to be something in the range of $72 million dollars in penalties, loss of continuing revenue from its football program (the least of our worries), and – most seriously – undisputed damage to the reputation of the University which could be forever in recovering. The damage he has done, in my humble opinion, is far worse than anything Graham Spanier ever came close to doing.
I don't see how Erickson signing the NCAA consent decree could possibly be worse than covering up for a child molester. How can anyone think that way? The article also makes me wonder because the person doesn't state their name.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The author is John O'Donnell. It is listed at the top of the article. Here is his info on Penn State's web site.

http://www.hhdev.psu.edu/shm/directo...d=JohnODonnell

Only black mark is he earned his J.D. at Pitt. lol

Holy Cheese and Crackers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 PM

I see it. I missed it when I read the article.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 PM

How could he have signed without oversight from his superiors? Is anyone in charge of that place; is anyone in controll?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Can't believe all the whining over these sanctions from the NCAA. Get over it! Move on! Someday with anyluck, Penn State will get back the respect it once had!

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lubrano and Taliferro both ran for the board on the grounds of protecting Paterno's name. We know Talliferro's inspiring story. And, Lubrano is a guy with many millions of $$$ who donated money for the baseball complex.
They both were a lock to get elected. As far as I know, they are the only two trustees to oppose the penalty. They represent the sports establishment and the fanatic types who worship it and worshipped Paterno. No suprise with their position.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:43 AM

I dont think anyone is questioning the quality of the academics of the university. I'm certainly not. I think the culture problem is that when football becomes so important that those at the highest levels are compelled tp cover up and attempt to sweep under the rug such henious acts as those committed by Sandusky. I dont think this scandal tarnishes the academic aspect of Penn State University at all. Football shouldn't be this important at ANY college, but I suppose any administrator would want to protect the goose that lays the golden egg to some extent. It's the same at Penn State. The reason the universitys reputation is as sullied as it is is because football is as big as it is. The previous poster sited many examples of Penn States academic excellence. The problem is that when people think of Penn State, that is not their first thought. Their first thought (before the scandal) was football and Paterno. Come to think of it, that will be their first thought now too, but not in a good way.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page