Does NCAA's Sanction's on PSU Impact you??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Does NCAA's Sanction's on PSU Impact you???

Think not? If you are a Pa Resident...actually YOU ARE PENN STATE in more way's than you may realize.

If your immediate reaction...NOT ME!! Well maybe you better think a lil deeper than the lynch mob type mentality of: "Ah...good, glad PSU has been severely penalizied, they deserve everything they got!!"

First off Penn State’s 2012-13 Commonwealth of Penn State's appropriation of $278.9 million(Taxpayer Money) represents no change from funds initially appropriated by the Commonwealth last year. This appropriation is equal to 1995 levels, when enrollment was 20,000 fewer students than it is today. A fiscally sound operation minimally impacting our Commonwealth's funding revenue base considering the size of the institution.

Now...$278 Mil is only a mere part of PSU's $4-5 billion budget. Let's suppose that the NCAA's sanctions do financially cripple our State's university who is weilding a multi-billion budget the size of many large international corporations. Lets also assume that Moody downgrades PSU debt paper as was said as a liklihood per Wall Street rumblings Yesterday which could adversely impact cost effective leveraging potentially costing millions of interest plus inability to attract needed funds. Lets also assume that the local community is financially impacted thereby producing millions of less tax revenues(sales taxes, PA income taxes etc).

Ok...now guess where the potentially billions of needed shortfall will come from in the future?? If you can't figure it out...ain't gonna tell you because you wouldn't comprehende anyway.

All these totally unjust sanctions were carried out prematurely by the Indiana Hdqr based NCAA in an immaturely orchestrated rush without giving the ensuing legal due process a chance to play out. I'm very disappointed in the tabloid euphoria feeding which obviously dominated this serious matter that could potentially harm our Commonwealth in far reaching ways if the sanctions take the course that the NCAA obviously intended.

As I previously posted...this is far, far from being over...nor should it be.

BTW...I never attended PSU not did any of my Family(other than my SIL) so don't think I have a doggie in this matter other than my concern of what was unjustly levied against a major University in my State.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Banned

Re: Does NCAA's Sanction's on PSU Impact you???

Quote:
X2...wait till the crimmal & civil trials begin. "We ain't seen nothing yet."
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freytown
Quote:
X2...wait till the crimmal & civil trials begin. "We ain't seen nothing yet."

YUPPER...You quickly nailed it FT!! Obviously, the NCAA shoulda waited for the ensuing legal due process to be carried out prior to levying their unsupported/unjustified sanctions being totally foundless without corroborated evidential matter...i.e., merely an opinion.

I look for all of this to totally unravel..

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM

My take on it is why punish the kids/school/state?

Go after the specific persons involved in the cover up.
Sue them.
Punish them.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I live near State College, graduated from PSU, and I own a business that caters to the wealthy class around town, including some names from the scandal(no not Sandusky).
I can say, NOBODY knows how this will turn out. So, all this guessing may be enertaining. But, thats about it.
I will say Paterno was the most powerful man on campus/in town. And, many, including myself thought he was too powerful and we are paying for it now.
My business is still very strong. We still have less crime than anywhere else. We have no traffics jams or smog. there are still 100,000's of acres of great public hunting on all four sides of State College.
Still nicer than most places. No doubt things have been shook up a bit!

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 PM

Oh, leave us not forget the possibility that our current govenour has some dirt under his fingernails. And, that missing DA; anyone seen him lately? This is going to be even more explosive than it already is.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy
Think not? If you are a Pa Resident...actually YOU ARE PENN STATE in more way's than you may realize.

If your immediate reaction...NOT ME!! Well maybe you better think a lil deeper than the lynch mob type mentality of: "Ah...good, glad PSU has been severely penalizied, they deserve everything they got!!"

First off Penn State’s 2012-13 Commonwealth of Penn State's appropriation of $278.9 million(Taxpayer Money) represents no change from funds initially appropriated by the Commonwealth last year. This appropriation is equal to 1995 levels, when enrollment was 20,000 fewer students than it is today. A fiscally sound operation minimally impacting our Commonwealth's funding revenue base considering the size of the institution.

Now...$278 Mil is only a mere part of PSU's $4-5 billion budget. Let's suppose that the NCAA's sanctions do financially cripple our State's university who is weilding a multi-billion budget the size of many large international corporations. Lets also assume that Moody downgrades PSU debt paper as was said as a liklihood per Wall Street rumblings Yesterday which could adversely impact cost effective leveraging potentially costing millions of interest plus inability to attract needed funds. Lets also assume that the local community is financially impacted thereby producing millions of less tax revenues(sales taxes, PA income taxes etc).

Ok...now guess where the potentially billions of needed shortfall will come from in the future?? If you can't figure it out...ain't gonna tell you because you wouldn't comprehende anyway.

All these totally unjust sanctions were carried out prematurely by the Indiana Hdqr based NCAA in an immaturely orchestrated rush without giving the ensuing legal due process a chance to play out. I'm very disappointed in the tabloid euphoria feeding which obviously dominated this serious matter that could potentially harm our Commonwealth in far reaching ways if the sanctions take the course that the NCAA obviously intended.

BTW...I never attended PSU not did any of my Family(other than my SIL) so don't think I have a doggie in this matter other than my concern of what was unjustly levied against a major University in my State.
Excellent post. In the haste to slam the PSU football team there was a complete failure in leadership from DA's, AG's, the Governor, and not least of all the PSU BoT who, as the name suggests, is given the trust to do what is in the best interests of the State and the University. Every tax payer in this state has skin in this game.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhollow
Excellent post. In the haste to slam the PSU football team there was a complete failure in leadership from DA's, AG's, the Governor, and not least of all the PSU BoT who, as the name suggests, is given the trust to do what is in the best interests of the State and the University. Every taxpayer in this state has skin in this game.
Thanks bearhollow.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It festered enough, Bearhollow. We are talking about decades of child abuse ON CAMPUS and the covering up of it to protect from public image damage.
It would have been impossible for PSU to ever get ahead in the court of public opinion if it looked like they were fighting against taking responsibilty. There is too much evidence. Whether it is "evidence" in legal speak or not does not matter! It is time to rebuild the PSU image. PSU has no bargaining power in this situation. The details are too gruesume.
Erickson said today the NCAA wanted four years of death penalty. Would you prefer that?

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 AM

Here's what it came down to:

"Is this really that hard to figure out? -Public outcry was at its peak. Fuhrer Mark knew it. -He also knew Erickson was a spineless coward who has been apologizing since november. -He bluffed and Rod threw in this as an alternative. -Mark looks like the hero to the mob and PSU has no recourse to challenge the fact that the NCAA was breaking its own rules to appease the media. -It is that simple."

The NCAA rules don't allow for more than 2 years of death penalty for a first timer.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page