Are Guns to Blame - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Are Guns to Blame

I would like to start a discussion about the recent shooting in Aurora.

After reading some of the witness accounts about how a young man entered a theater room and unleashed pure [censored] on innocent people, it has caused me to stop and reflect on how this could happen. The anti-gun crowds are screaming loudly and discussions are popping up everywhere about gun laws and rights. I understand people get frustrated with life, develop a low self esteem, and feel angry at the world. I feel if you want to shoot people you should begin with yourself. How an individual could raise a rifle and start shooting innocent people is beyond my understanding. I can only imagine the "oh crap" feeling of being cornered in room while a guy unloads his AR15 towards you.

So what really is to blame for all of this?

Many people feel we should have stricter gun laws to prevent sick people like this from using powerful weapons to massacre people in a short amount of time. It seems that there was little to no evidence to see this thing coming from this guy. Could this have been prevented in any way?

I always have been a very pro-gun person. I have a gun safe in my basement with several firearms in it. I am an avid hunter and target shooter. I am proud to live in American were I have the first amendment(free speech) and the second amendment(the right to bare arms). The second amendment was written to protect the people from a rouge form of government whether that be foreign or domestic and criminals. It is the right of a person to defend his family from a home burglar or threat in his home. Once gun ownership becomes illegal then the criminals and vile persons will be emboldened. The theater had a "no guns" sign on its premises. Did this prevent this guy from shooting up a crowd of people? No! absolutely not. I did prevent law abiding citizens from concealed carry. I would wonder what would have been the result of someone in that theater having a concealed weapon. The gunman may have been wounded, killed, or at least been scared into leaving the building.

Many questions are being asked right now across the nation.

Should there be a ban on semi-auto and high cap weapons?
Should there be a longer waiting period to purchase firearms?
Should American citizens have firearms at all?
Do violent games and movies move weak minds like this to commit massacres?
Should more people be encourage to carry concealed weapons?

I tell you this America, there is a storm coming. The clouds are darkening and I hear a faint sound of thunder. Do you have answers? Will we loose our right to possess firearms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Are Guns to Blame

To answer your final question, No. I don't believe it is even remotely possible. I believe you will see a civil war before you'll ever see them take our right to possess firearms. If not before, shortly after.
I think everybody should be encouraged to carry a concealed(or open) weapon.

Where have you been?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 AM

Release the toxicology results on this guy and there in lies
whats to blame..DRUGS!!

Why do we never hear what drugs these mass murder's are on??

But when a celebrity loser dies,they cant get the results
out fast enough..CRAZY STUFF!!

Know your Enemy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 04:24 AM
atr
Banned

Guns and weapons are why we're the badest nation in the world. Even the best fighting men in the world the vietcong had to dig tunnels in the ground to escape our wrath. If we we'ren't a gun nation we would be called france and have to rely on some other country to save us when a bully nation attacked us.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 05:19 AM

no

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Should there be a ban on semi-auto and high cap weapons?
No, he could have done more damage with a van loaded with bombs and gas.

Quote:
Should there be a longer waiting period to purchase firearms?
No, it obviously took months to plan would a few more days have mattered?

Quote:
Should American citizens have firearms at all?
Ummm, Yes 100%

Quote:
Do violent games and movies move weak minds like this to commit massacres?
Crazy is crazy. The Son of Sam was driven off the deep ends by his neighbors barking dog.

Quote:
Should more people be encourage to carry concealed weapons?
Yes. If the bad guys were concerned the "sheep" had teeth too they'd be more reluctant. Bush signed into Law a few years ago LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act) which enables LEO's to carry concealed in all 50 states when off duty for just that reason.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Sage

YH, LEOSA is what my permit is.....HR 218.......
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Society wants to blame guns, movies, video games, upbringing, and the environment of the individual for these monsterous acts. They want to believe that there is a EXTERNAL reason why these things happen. Maybe it makes them feel better thinking there is something they can do to prevent these things from happening again, or maybe they don't want to accept the truth because it would make them realize that there are things beyond their controll.

IMHO The truth is there are INTERNAL issues in the minds of these individuals, perhaps created before birth, that no one can see or prepare for.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Ya know I always remember IMHO the best line of all time from a Sitcom ie All in the Family

Gloria, Archies liberal daughter goes on a rant on the evils of guns and how many people are killed by them every day, and Archie says without batting an eye,"Would it make ya feel better little girl is they was pushed out windows?"

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Sage

<span style="font-style: italic">So what really is to blame for all of this?</span>

In the recent past, and i think you will finally find out in this case - people knew he was unstable or totally gone nuts.

You will also find out that there were huge signs he was up to something or was off the reservation in conduct.

We will all be reminded that due to privacy concerns, the mental instability will not have been reported or adequetly acted upon by doctors, college adinistrators, and others in the healthcare system.

They will point to the law that does not allow these medical conclusions to be disclosed.

The law on that privacy surrounding a condition that may portend sever and harmful, if not fatal possibilities for anyone, is hidden from view, and not a factor in limiting the rights of one found deficient.

Deficient?

Yes.

Diagnosed mental instability is a disqualifying reason for lawful gun purchases.

However, to be in the system, the person has to be identified and entered into the system. The record has to be there for the application to be kicked out - denied.

At VA Tech, and other places besides Colorado, we have repeated this drill over and over.

In short, there are those that have no business having guns. Mentally deficient people are on the list. Without regard to race, creed, color - other heritage, or even military service - or lack thereof - the mentally impaired or those without the ability to make sound judgement calls or rationalize reality from fantasy pose a risk.

Not popular to call it what it is - but there.

Second, once again. No one had a CCW to return fire on this guy. I thought Colorado had pretty open carry laws.

One wonders what would have happened if fire had been returned - body armor or not. If he got flustered with the rifle malfunctioning - return fire might have been the cut and run moment.

A what if - not an answer.

According to the news today. Gun sales and requests for gun training is way up in Colorado now.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page