PSU & NCAA Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

PSU & NCAA Question

With all the speculation about what the NCAA will do to PSU.....I have to ask this question.

The majority of the issues with the Sandusky case are related to legal and moral issues.....but not directly related to football issues.
So how much authority does the NCAA really have in this matter?

Don't take my question wrong......I am not defending anyone......just questioning how this truely pertains to NCAA rules. ..........I fully realize the moral and legal stuff, just questioning at what point the NCAA may overstep their bounds.....????????

Your never to old to learn something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 PM
The Man

Re: PSU & NCAA Question

According to this link, the NCAA doesn't have much power (in this instance). But, they have given their President carte blanche to do what he feels is appropriate.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the link. It really addresses what I was questioning. With all the people saying they should give the death sentance to PSU football......I have to wonder how the NCAA could justify that, with the "powers" they have over this case?

Your never to old to learn something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Banned

The legality of the NCAA's ability to give the death penalty in this case would be subject to scrutiny, that's for sure. It would probably play out in court, and neither side wants that.

I'm am confident that there are "back door" conversations taking place between NCAA officials and PSU official, or at least between their lawyers to maintain "plausible deniability"
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 AM

The NCAA is on a slippery slope and IMHP newly appointed President Emmert is on a frustrated power trip so anything can happen. Is it legal, under the NCAA charter? Probably not, but why fight the inevitable. We will just take our punishment and come back from it stronger. The court of public opinion and the other haters have spoken.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--mark...m-spanier-.html
And yes I have read the entire 260+ pages of the Freeh report. I feel that there should and will be criminal and civil trials, so that all of the information should come out.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Sage

YUP...sure hope those contemplated NCAA officials prematurely shootin from the hip gunslingers have adequate personal/professional liability insurance!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 AM

hiding what happened is all about football and the school....the program gets a black eye from this and the school loses money....when it boils down to it it was about money.....they are gonna find out about money when they lose the tv and bowl money for many years!!!!

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy
YUP...sure hope those contemplated NCAA officials prematurely shootin from the hip gunslingers have adequate personal/professional liability insurance!
I am not sure the NCAA is in their bounds or not, but I wonder if the school will accept the punishment or if they will file an appeal/lawsuit. My guess is they will just accept and move on. They won't look good if they fight it. Thee way I see it, they would lose either way. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There will be no Death Penalty for ps, the death penalty is just sland for the rule that was enacted in the early eighties as the "Repeat Offenders Rule" which was put in because of SMU and there continued violations after being sanctioned by the NCAA. Lose of scholarships for a couple years along with no bowl appearance would be my quess.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

I don't get how any past inFractions USC, OSU or SMU involved child rape & cover ups...again & again over 7-10 kids how isn't that repeating an offense? Cause he didnt get caught? Arguement wise he did get caught....
So why shouldn't 14 years of cover ups be a repeating offense? Wasn't Sandusky a coach sanctioned by the NCAA ? On a team sanctioned by the NCAA?
Cant the board of NCAA vote to increase the depth of authority & reach judgement wise ofi the teams schools they sanction?
If they "blank" out then bring on the Feds & Department of Education...
Shake my head....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page