Appalachian Trail - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
atr
Banned

Appalachian Trail

If you ever had the opportunity would like to spend a month or so on the App. trail sometime in your life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM

Re: Appalachian Trail

Yes, I'd love to walk the whole thing.
Dunno if I'd make it but would be cool to try.
Maybe shoulda done it 15 years ago.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

by the time i can spare a month, i may be too old. but yes, i would. i would like to have a buddy who was really into it. my boys are not into the backpacking thing so i haven't pursued it. i'm still doing stuff with them that they like and that takes up most of my free time.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM

If I was single, I would try it with you fellas.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Sage

Are there any Holiday Inn's on the trail?

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 PM
The Man

I spent several days on the trail in PA. I didn't particularly like it. The trail was very rocky, there were no viewpoints, water was scarce. It was just drudgery.

I don't mind hiking a long ways over rough steep terrain if it leads to a nice remote scenic stream loaded wild native brookies or wild browns.

But just trudging along on that trail didn't do much for me. Maybe we just picked a boring section. (Peters Mountain section, between Clarks and Stony Creeks, heading east.)

You could find some loop trails in NC PA that include small streams, scenic overlooks etc. Black Forest trail, Susquehannock trail, Chuck Keiper trail and others. Much more interesting country, IMHO.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I did a fair amount of backpacking in the past. I've hiked the Loyalsock Trail and the Susquehannock Trial twice each. Now those are great trails in Pennsylvania. As I remeber the Susquehannock is about 85 miles in a circuit. I started in Cross Fork and ended up there. The beer at the hotel was cold! The Loyalsock was about 50 miles long. Some parts were very steep. it seems that the folks who designed it had no idea what a switchback was, since every mountain you climbed the trail went straight up. Did part of the Tuscarora Trail shortly after it was blazed. Not my favorite.

There are parts of the Appalachian trail that I loved hiking back in the 1970s and 1980s. There are also parts I disliked enough never to set foot on them again. The stretch of Pennsylvania from the Delaware Water Gap to the Susquehanna River is one of the latter. It seems that every rock my feet landed on was pointed and hit me right in the middle of a bruise. The section in Clarks Valley through Stony Creek valley is called Saint Anthony's Wilderness, and the trail is not the most user friendly. It is beautiful forest to walk through, though, with some interesting history. At one time the Jesuits had a monestary there and were rumored to have a gold mine which has never been found.

The section from the North Mountain to the South Mountain is almost all roads, and is not much fun IMO. From Churchtown up into the South Mountain and across the Maryland line it is a nice trail to hike. The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club used to have a couple of cabins that you could rent in that stretch, one of which was along Milesburn Road south of Shippensburg. The biggest copperhead I have ever seen was on the stretch just before that cabin.

My W 1 FE unit and I did the stretch from Mount Khatadin through the Presidential mountains of New Hampshire one summer. This is a beautiful section of the trail. At the top of a couple of the big mountains we stayed in what the local trail club called "huts." We got a decent evening meal, a bed to sleep in, and a cooked breakfast for $8.00 each at the time. I did not hike the section from the Presidentials to the Delaware River, so I have no knowledge of that part.

Another part I did hike, this time by myself, was the Shenandoah Park section. This is an interesting hike and the scenery is awesome. The only rattlesnake and the only bear I have seen on the trail were in the park.

I had the ambition at one time in my life to do the entire thing from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Khadadin in Maine, but two things happened. I never had springtime off to start the hike in April, and I got too old (my knees wouldn't take it anymore) so it isn't going to happen. Good luck to anyone who wants to do it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
atr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc 21
Are there any Holiday Inn's on the trail?

I hear there are some 5 star caves on the trail
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

I've done all of PA, but not in one trip. Many weekend trips over the years before I got into hunting. Now my fall weekends are busy!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert
I spent several days on the trail in PA. I didn't particularly like it. The trail was very rocky, there were no viewpoints, water was scarce. It was just drudgery.

I don't mind hiking a long ways over rough steep terrain if it leads to a nice remote scenic stream loaded wild native brookies or wild browns.

But just trudging along on that trail didn't do much for me. Maybe we just picked a boring section. (Peters Mountain section, between Clarks and Stony Creeks, heading east.)

You could find some loop trails in NC PA that include small streams, scenic overlooks etc. Black Forest trail, Susquehannock trail, Chuck Keiper trail and others. Much more interesting country, IMHO.
You weren't in my area the 501 lookout has an awesome view along the trail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page