PAWN STARS........... Grrrrrrrrr !!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

PAWN STARS........... Grrrrrrrrr !!!

OK, I just love history, and I'm really enamored with historical items, which is why "Antique Roadshow" is my favorite show. To that, I watch Pawn Stars because there is some really neat stuff that folks roll in. BUT, I get sick and tired of watching those guys beat the tar out of people on these things. The middle Rick isn't nearly as bad as his son, the youngest, but still bad. Same old line form the young one, "Dude, that's the best I can do", as he stares and licks his chops. Ok, I know nobody has a gun to these peoples heads to sell their stuff, but I just want to see the outtakes of all the people giving them the finger, grabbing their stuff, and walking out.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: PAWN STARS........... Grrrrrrrrr !!!

I have the same feelings when I watch that show. The seller can give a low ball price and they buyers will still say that is too high. I get that the shop has to make money but the sellers are equally to blame for selling their products at such a low price.
Ok, so an expert comes in and says this sells at auction for 2k, the shop offers them 800 bucks. Instead of selling for 800, take some initiative and sell it on ebay or post it somewhere else online.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 PM

I've been to the shop. It is on the outskirts of the strip in Vegas. I have a suspicion that a lot of that money is recirculated into the economy rather quickly

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Sage

You don't really think they should pay retail for inventory that will be resold do you? When they buy, it isn't like they are buying it to keep, it must sit around till it sells, if it sells at all. I find them to be pretty honest and simply business men. I have seen on two occasions where someone brought in something very valuable, one was a piece of jewelry and I don't rember the other item. On the broach, the woman ask for a price. Rick could have paid he that price and the woman would have been happy. Instead he told her that he would not pay her that price because of the value of the piece and he paid her a lot of money, thousands, when she asked for hundreds. You can't be in business buying retail and selling retail, then there is the risk some of thse things won't sell at all or will be sold for a loss.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

On that Cajun Pawn last night, a dude brought in an 1866 Springfield Trapdoor, WITH some boxed ammo for it, and an "instruction manual" ? The rifle was in such pristine condition, they thought it was a good shot at being a reproduction. His gun guy came in, and authenticated it as legit. The gun guy said $2,000 or something like that, and I believe $600 if the unopened ammo checked out (it did). I believe that goof initially offered $800 and they settled on $1,000 ???

I also believe that the authenticators may be "in on it" too. I mean, I'm not conspiracy theorist, but I know darned well that pristine Trapdoor fetches more than the $2,000 the authenticator indicated.

But yeah, nobody forces them to sell.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Sage

I don't watch that show, jst the origional one if the mood strikes me, like everything else on TV, if a show is seccessful it is copied two or three times. Anyway, you are right, no one forces people to sell or pawn items, it is their choice, if they think they can get more money elsewhere they are free to try.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That show is about as staged as wwf wrestling.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
like everything else on TV, if a show is seccessful it is copied two or three times.
True. Bering Sea crab (Deadliest Catch) wasn't enough. They had to go after Wild Tuna Feesh.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a suspicion that a lot of that money is recirculated into the economy rather quickly
Guaranteed it's a HUGE bonus to have that shop in that location. Folks that just lost their pants, or have a gambling problem, will part with some pretty nice stuff for cheap in order to take a few more shots at the tables.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Im not expecting them to buy the item for retail, if they did that then how are they expected to make money. My point is, the sellers take the offer provided to them instead of taking the time to keep the item longer or wait for a better offer. People are quick to make decisions.

And before you say, "They sold their item because they needed the cash", thats a bunch of bull. Unless the item is worth thousands of dollars then I can see them wanting the cash, but 90% of the items on the show are purchased for less than a thousand bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page