A good realtor? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

A good realtor?

It may be an oxymoron but can anyone reccomend a good (trustworthy) realtor in the Dubois/St. Marys area?

I want to work with someone who will actually work for ME not for a bunch of sellers.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: A good realtor?

You can hire a buyer broker, a realtor that works for you. All realtors work for the sellers if you go to their office looking for a house.

IMHO, it is a oxymoron.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods
It may be an oxymoron but can anyone reccomend a good (trustworthy) realtor in the Dubois/St. Marys area?

I want to work with someone who will actually work for ME not for a bunch of sellers.
Wanda Ryen owns Ryen realty in Philipsburg which is a little ways away, but she is
wonderful to deal with, and everyone that I know that used her had great things to say. She may be able to help you out.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 PM
The Man

I would talk to a few, but realistate is a dog eat dog world. I'm not sure it really matters much who you choose anymore because I can see any listing from any agent on any realty webpage.

I'm in the process right now of both buying and selling. I'm buying private. No reason other than it was what I wanted, and it was available. My wife insisted we use a certain agent as it was a husband of a friend of hers. I listed a little over what I wanted because I needed it sold NOW. I got more than asking price as there was a bargening war.

My agent didn't sell the house. He simply listed it. Almost all the people that came through in two weeks we with the same company, just different agents.

So to the OP..are you looking to buy or sell? It really comes down that they work on commission. Even though you may be a buyer, and they represent you the buyer, they still get a percentage of the sale. The more the sale the more they make.

It's about as hard as finding an honest car salesmen.

Venison - The other fast food
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A realtor can not represent both sides. They are either a buyers agent or a selling agent per transaction. It is illegal to represent both sides in one deal. Be very wary of any agent who says they will represent you in a deal for their own listing. AND as a buyer NEVER tell a listing agent any information that could be pertinent to the sale. PM if you have any specific questions, I am a realtor down in MD here and PA/MD's laws are very similar.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 AM
Sage

Correct. They work for the person that pays them the commission, which is the SELLER. They never represent the buyer, as that is not who is paying them.

The buyer may think a realtor works for them, but the realtors job is to get top dollar, for the SELLER.

However, many times, they will get the seller to lower their price because it makes their job simpler and they turnover properties faster, with more profit to them.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Correct. They work for the person that pays them the commission, which is the SELLER. They never represent the buyer, as that is not who is paying them.

The buyer may think a realtor works for them, but the realtors job is to get top dollar, for the SELLER.

However, many times, they will get the seller to lower their price because it makes their job simpler and they turnover properties faster, with more profit to them.
Dutch- you are a bit off the mark with the above statement. Only the listing agent works for the seller. A buyer agent works for the Buyer! Please get your facts straight before you post such nonsense.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:18 PM
dce
Sage

Good info.That's a fact I didn't know.

I moved out of my old house two years ago.I put it up for sale and went with a realtor that I knew pretty well and assumed was aggressive.She showed the house one time in about 5 months.Other agents showed it but most are really looking to sell their own listings.Many even show it to postion it against their own listings.After a few months,a friend came to me and asked if I'd be willing to rent it to his son and daughter-in-law that just moved.Winter was coming so I reluctantly agreed and rented it completely on faith.The house was spotless and in mint condition.Well,in a time frame of about 6 months they completely trashed my house,doing about 18k in damage.They ruined all my carpeting,destroyed brand new hard wood floors,kicked in doors and even damaged my roof.It was a disaster that took me from last may until last Sept to fix.I listed it with another Realtor who did a pretty good job.I'm not sure he was worth the 6% that I paid him but he looked out for my best interest and came through for me in the end.Being a nice guy,I did alot for the buyer that I didn't have to so we all won in the end.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
Good info.That's a fact I didn't know.

I moved out of my old house two years ago.I put it up for sale and went with a realtor that I knew pretty well and assumed was aggressive.She showed the house one time in about 5 months.Other agents showed it but most are really looking to sell their own listings.Many even show it to postion it against their own listings.After a few months,a friend came to me and asked if I'd be willing to rent it to his son and daughter-in-law that just moved.Winter was coming so I reluctantly agreed and rented it completely on faith.The house was spotless and in mint condition.Well,in a time frame of about 6 months they completely trashed my house,doing about 18k in damage.They ruined all my carpeting,destroyed brand new hard wood floors,kicked in doors and even damaged my roof.It was a disaster that took me from last may until last Sept to fix.I listed it with another Realtor who did a pretty good job.I'm not sure he was worth the 6% that I paid him but he looked out for my best interest and came through for me in the end.Being a nice guy,I did alot for the buyer that I didn't have to so we all won in the end.
DCE- Listing agents rarely show their own listings. If they do they are potentially opening themselves up to a lawsuit.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 PM
dce
Sage

That's not the case around these parts.I had one agent show my house 6 times in less than a month and was later told that she was using my house to make her own listings look better.I know for a fact that she rarely sells anything that she doesn't list,which isn't uncommon around here.I own an insurance agency so I deal with and have several friends that are realtors.I'm not an expert by any means but I do know it's a pretty cut throat business.

A few years ago,I made a private deal on a horse farm with no realtor involved.The house was listed at one time but the women's ex-husband bought the house from her and was going to sell it.I called him and we made a deal.His friend(The realtor that previously had it listed)called me and tried to talk me out of it.When she realized that I wasn't backing out she had me come to her office to sign a sales agreement.I signed the agreement the owner and I had come to an agreement on and put a downpayment on the house.She then informed me that I owed her over 16k BECAUSE SHE HAD JUST LISTED THE HOUSE THE DAY BEFORE.I had an oral agreement with this guy for over two weeks and he's the one that would have had to pay the commission anywayTwo days later,she gave me a sob story about how he wanted to keep the house because he didn't want to up root his daughter because she'd been living there with her mother.I backed out and found out a month later that they sold the place to a DR for 100k more than what we had agreed to.I think I had them legally but I just let it drop.Interstingly,that realtor still had the nerve to call me every now and then to tell me about other properties that were on the market lol.OH yeah,another realtor who's a friend of mine showed me the date she listed the house and it was the afternoon I signed the sales agreement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page