The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Just STAY HOME!

2K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  jimbridger 
#1 ·
I'm so sick of this coronavirus media ...yes its serious, but for most healthy adults its like a bad flu and you will recover. The whole thing got way blown out of proportion to the point that those of us in rural areas are thrown into the fracas.

The coronavirus seems to be most prevalent in higher populated areas, which is understandable. My advice to those of you that live downstate? SE, SW, and other populated areas? Stay at home, or at least in your general area....This isn't the time to head for camp for pete's sake. I'm not overly concerned over the whole thing , but I'd sure as heck like get back to work as soon as possible. SO STAY HOME so we can all get back to life as normal......

#2 ·
I'm so sick of this coronavirus media ...yes its serious, but for most healthy adults its like a bad flu and you will recover.

Healthy adults getting sick isn't the main concern. The virus spreading quickly to those that aren't as healthy (even in rural areas) causing hospitals to overflow is the main concern. Car accidents, heart attacks, baby's being born, etc aren't going to stop during this time. A major backlog at a hospital can and will be fatal.

All tragic stuff aside, I'm getting a taste of the retired lifestyle. I like it.

#6 ·
So just to make a point; what will happen if a group of let's say 10 people decide to gather at a hunting camp in up stare PA? Will the PA State Police surround the place, set up a road block, bombard the occupants with tear gas and stun grenades?
Yes, I know it's not smart, and actually stupid, to gather in groups at this time, but what legal recourse does the state have to prevent people from gathering in groups or going against prudent medical advise.

Where is the HPA Legal Team on this?

#7 ·
I get the social distancing part of this but closing everything cannot go on indefinitely.
Most of this became necessary because people, especially the millennials, need to be protected from themselves. This isn't a national holiday and having your job shut down is not a excuse for mass parties to break out.
Most of my crews are not working today and they could very easy keep a safer distance from each other than going to Home Depot or their wife going to the food store.
People need to use something in shorter supply than TP, common sense.
The places with highest cases are the urban areas, places like Montgomery county and Philly and North Jersey have a good amount of people that commute to NYC, and you see what they are dealing with. My county so far has no cases but Monroe has 31 with 1 fatality, another county where a large amount commute to New York for work.

Hopefully they can get a better handle on this and we can get onto some sort of a new normal of life.
Stay Safe

#13 · (Edited)
I do not subscribe to the principal a parent is responsible for their children's behavior well into their 30's. But I know this does not worry them because I have heard them say they might get sick but they're not going to die from it, much like our generation handled SARS. My 29 yo only concern is when will they allow the malls and outlets to open again, that's what a master's in education get yea, which her mother and I paid for.
So it isn't your fault it's just the foolishness of youth.

#18 ·
The fact you are worrying about your family means to me your probably not one of the party crowed I am talking about.
This is all about using common sense and feeling invincible, like we did in 2003 with SARS.
I am sure the media is playing this up, but the number of infected and deaths makes it difficult to ignore or take lightly.
Sorry to hear about you cut in time, this is something my employer has talked about doing with our non-union employees. They were told even with a 25% cut in salary, they are not able to work the agency would still pay them 75% of their salary and continue picking the health and welfare benefit s and they were entitled to file for unemployment to cover the amount they lost.

#21 ·
Here's what the Greatest Generation thinks about this:

"I talked to a man today

I talked with a man today, an 80+ year old man. I asked him if there was anything I can get him while this Coronavirus scare was gripping America.

He simply smiled, looked away and said:

"Let me tell you what I need! I need to believe, at some point, this country my generation fought for... I need to believe this nation we handed safely to our children and their children...

I need to know this generation will quit being a bunch of sissies...that they respect what they've been given...that they've earned what others sacrificed for."

I wasn't sure where the conversation was going or if it was going anywhere at all. So, I sat there, quietly observing.

"You know, I was a little boy during WWII. Those were scary days. We didn't know if we were going to be speaking English, German or Japanese at the end of the war. There was no certainty, no guarantees like Americans enjoy today.

And no home went without sacrifice or loss. Every house, up and down every street, had someone in harm's way. Maybe their Daddy was a soldier, maybe their son was a sailor, maybe it was an uncle. Sometimes it was the whole ---- family...fathers, sons, uncles...

Having someone, you love, sent off to war...it wasn't less frightening than it is today. It was scary as ----. If anything, it was more frightening. We didn't have battle front news. We didn't have email or cellphones. You sent them away and you hoped...you prayed. You may not hear from them for months, if ever. Sometimes a mother was getting her son's letters the same day Dad was comforting her over their child's death.

And we sacrificed. You couldn't buy things. Everything was rationed. You were only allowed so much milk per month, only so much bread, toilet paper. EVERYTHING was restricted for the war effort. And what you weren't using, what you didn't need, things you threw away, they were saved and sorted for the war effort. My generation was the original recycling movement in America.

And we had viruses back then...serious viruses. Things like polio, measles, and such. It was nothing to walk to school and pass a house or two that was quarantined. We didn't shut down our schools. We didn't shut down our cities. We carried on, without masks, without hand sanitizer. And do you know what? We persevered. We overcame. We didn't attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today."

He slowly looked away again. Maybe I saw a small tear in the corner of his eye. Then he continued:

"Today's kids don't know sacrifice. They think a sacrifice is not having coverage on their phone while they freely drive across the country. Today's kids are selfish and spoiled. In my generation, we looked out for our elders. We helped out with single moms who's husbands were either at war or dead from war. Today's kids rush the store, buying everything they can...no concern for anyone but themselves. It's shameful the way Americans behave these days. None of them deserve the sacrifices their granddads made.

So, no I don't need anything. I appreciate your offer but, I know I've been through worse things than this virus. But maybe I should be asking you, what can I do to help you? Do you have enough pop to get through this, enough steak? Will you be able to survive with 113 channels on your tv?"

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own...now humbled by a man in his 80's. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in my rear.

I talked to a man today. A real man. An American man from an era long gone and forgotten. We will never understand the sacrifices. We will never fully earn their sacrifices. But we should work harder to learn about them..learn from them...to respect them."

#23 ·
sure am glad i retired 5 years ago. i think those inmates are going to go bonkers if this virus gets inside those walls. they should take all new inmates and lock them in their cells for two weeks for observation. but...knowing management like i do....they wont !

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.