6Likes
  • 3 Post By dc 21
  • 1 Post By Johnnyb1815
  • 2 Post By NorthernPotterCo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Strange skunk story / question / thoughts

Last night I was sitting on my back porch.
A line of tall shrubs about 20yds from my seat and I hear something on the other side of them.
Lots of critters around no big deal .... and then I see a skunk walking backwards in between 2 of the shrubs.
But before he comes completely out from between the shrubs I can see he is pulling on something with his teeth.
He did it for so long and hard , I thought was pulling on a root from the shrub.
But then I see what he is doing when he succeeds is his effort.
He was dragging a dead skunk .... and the dead one got hung up around the shrub.
Well , he got the dead one pulled free and continues dragging it backwards up a little hill into my back yard.
At the top of the hill he stops and looks like he is biting on the dead skunk or eating it?..... but then he starts dragging it again ........... and he drags it right under my large shed.

Skunks have been under there off and on for years .... so I think it's safe to say ...... he drug the dead skunk to his home?
But WHY????
I been running google searches trying to see what his was about or normal or whatever .... and came up empty handed.
So since we are mostly outdoor minded folks here ...................What the heck??

I wonder if he killed the other skunk even.
I can't find anything that tells me the skunks eat other dead skunks .... let alone drag them home to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Sage

Youíve got me skunked.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 01:36 PM

That is pretty strange. I would assume he was going to eat the skunk, cannibalism isn’t all that uncommon in nature.
Boondox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

never saw it or heard of it either ,but it smells of something odd .
loridr and Boondox like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb1815 View Post
That is pretty strange. I would assume he was going to eat the skunk, cannibalism isnít all that uncommon in nature.

I suppose , but have not known or heard anything regarding skunks eating carrion.
And to work so hard dragging it to its home?
Gives me the willys.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Administrator

He dragged the victim off the street, through the bushes, across the lawn, and then put him in the area below the shed. What a great undertaking.

MAGA 2020
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Last night I was sitting on my back porch.
A line of tall shrubs about 20yds from my seat and I hear something on the other side of them.
Lots of critters around no big deal .... and then I see a skunk walking backwards in between 2 of the shrubs.
But before he comes completely out from between the shrubs I can see he is pulling on something with his teeth.
He did it for so long and hard , I thought was pulling on a root from the shrub.
But then I see what he is doing when he succeeds is his effort.
He was dragging a dead skunk .... and the dead one got hung up around the shrub.
Well , he got the dead one pulled free and continues dragging it backwards up a little hill into my back yard.
At the top of the hill he stops and looks like he is biting on the dead skunk or eating it?..... but then he starts dragging it again ........... and he drags it right under my large shed.

Skunks have been under there off and on for years .... so I think it's safe to say ...... he drug the dead skunk to his home?
But WHY????
I been running google searches trying to see what his was about or normal or whatever .... and came up empty handed.
So since we are mostly outdoor minded folks here ...................What the heck??

I wonder if he killed the other skunk even.
I can't find anything that tells me the skunks eat other dead skunks .... let alone drag them home to do it.
Skunks are carrion eaters along with a list of other things. There is no reason a skunk would not eat another dead skunk, if they can stand their own smell they can stand the smell of a dead one and the dead one is done spraying. Their is no honor among carrion eaters, if it is dead, they will eat it. I suspect the skunk was hiding his prize under your shed where he shelters so no other critter would find it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page