Wife and I drove to Maine today... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Wife and I drove to Maine today...

This week Mrs Brownie and I were to vacation in the Outer Banks, but do to Hurricane Dorian, that plan fell through. Fortunately for us, we purchased trip insurance when we rented the house. On Monday, we decided to make a run to Maine, and drove to our Snow Shoe area camp that evening and would jump on I-80 Tuesday morning for the 580 mile drive. ( We were driving to Brunswick, just north of Portland ). Now I have hunted bear 5 times in northern Maine, drove up for a couple of Maine weddings, and also passed through on a drive to Newfoundland, so this wasnít my first safari.

All was well on the Pa leg of the trip....across 80, up 81 onto 84. The trouble started in NY on 84. Lots of construction, lost nearly a hour there. Then the fun starts when you hit the Connecticut border. Three, sometimes four lanes of traffic moving bumper to bumper at 75 mph. Numerous drivers zig zagging across traffic as though they were in a NASCAR race. This was midday, not even rush hour. ( in the past, Iíve sat 2 hours in the Danbury- Hartford area in the late afternoon) . On the southbound side of I-84, I saw traffic was backed up at a dead stop for about 6 miles for construction. The I-495 leg through Mass. was probably the worst mess Iíve ever drove in ( and Iíve driven the Freeways from San Diego to LA in Ca. before). I got in the middle lanes, held the throttle down to 80 mph and fought to keep up. Things lightened up when I finally hit I-95 in Maine.

The last time I made this trip was in 2014. I told the wife the roads got rougher ( NY has the worst interstates Iíve ever drove on ), drivers got crazier, and traffic is much thicker than I ever remember. Iíll wait and sneak back midday Saturday when traffic should be lighter. I may even slide west on I-90 and down I-79 and try to avoid the circus altogether.
bohunr and Dogface like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

maybe you have stayed at your Snow Shoe camp and avoided the hassle and stress of your trip
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:54 PM

Did just about the same trip in July with the wife and the worst part going was 81 between WB and 380. Why did you use 81 and not just use 380 off of 80? Anyway the worst part on the return was 84 in PA also 81 Scranton to Wilkes Barre with a slow down on 495 just before reaching 90. I was so happy the construction was finished in Conn because it slowed us down for years.

Headed back up for the month of October to chase hare. Leaving on the 27th. So was that NY construction a big project or just patch work that might be done by the 27th?

Enjoy your Maine trip. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I always drive up over a weekend. Do the Pa part and some of NY then stop and get some sleep, then get up about 4 am Sun. cruise down the wide open roads. I'm through the worst before people wake up.
jimbridger likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

WE went up in July. The worst part of the trip was 495 west of Boston, 20 miles per the whole way. If it wasn't for Kittery Trading Post I wouldn't do the 84/90/495 thing again. Going up through Williamsport- Binghamton-Albany, Vermont when I head to Newfoundland next month.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
Did just about the same trip in July with the wife and the worst part going was 81 between WB and 380. Why did you use 81 and not just use 380 off of 80? Anyway the worst part on the return was 84 in PA also 81 Scranton to Wilkes Barre with a slow down on 495 just before reaching 90. I was so happy the construction was finished in Conn because it slowed us down for years.

Headed back up for the month of October to chase hare. Leaving on the 27th. So was that NY construction a big project or just patch work that might be done by the 27th?

Enjoy your Maine trip. Waugh!
JB...I think the 2 jobs in NY are going to take a while to finish. Both involved shutting down one side of the highway and routing both directions onto one side. The biggest jam was on 84 was south of Newtown/ Sandy Hook. Iím not positive, but I think the whole jam up do to a bridge inspection with a bucket truck! The wackiest thing was when we started to slow up for traffic neat Hartford when I heard an air horn blaring behind us. A roll up truck hauling scrap was barreling down the highway and wasnít gonna get stopped. It bailed out into the median strip and came close to flipping onto its side.

What I despise are these youngster who like to weave in and out, like theyíre playing Grand Auto Theft on their computer. I think they really enjoy the challenge of crossing 4 lanes of moving traffic. Speed doesnít bother me much, if folks give each other a little space and hold their lanes. I told the wife Iím fine running with the truck traffic on I-80 ( I travel it a couple hundred miles a week driving to and from camp). Those drivers arenít cowboys and donít pull stupid stunts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
WE went up in July. The worst part of the trip was 495 west of Boston, 20 miles per the whole way. If it wasn't for Kittery Trading Post I wouldn't do the 84/90/495 thing again. Going up through Williamsport- Binghamton-Albany, Vermont when I head to Newfoundland next month.

Vermont is hills and more hills. Waugh!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

When I go up to Maine I leave at midnight and hit the Maine line before 6. No traffic at all.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:51 PM

Oh well I guess we just take our time and maybe sleep in the trucks if we can't arrive in time to set up a tent. Thanks Bigbrownie. I will pack an extra soda for the ride. Waugh!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:33 PM

In the past our only delays were in Danbury and Hartford and we left at 2am. Waugh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page