DCNR Blamed for high lake Erie water levels - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

DCNR Blamed for high lake Erie water levels

this was a letter to the editor in the Erie Times news yesterday:

Quote:
The water level of Lake Erie has taken its toll on Presque Isle. Earlier this spring, I was in shock as I took my first of many drives around the peninsula and saw flooding and water damage to many parts of the multi-purpose trail and many of my favorite hiking trails. But, like many others, I put my trust in the “experts” who are in charge of the park and awaited the day when the park would no longer be a murky and dreary swamp. Fast-forward a couple of months and many car rides later and not much has changed.

What’s being done about the water levels? Well, supposedly, they are watching it. This must mean there’s a plan in place if things get worse. At Discover Presque Isle, I found out that this is not the case after having a discussion about the rising water levels with a park ranger. The ranger was very informative in telling me what they have tried to help contain water levels, but these temporary solutions yielded no results. When asked if there was a plan in place if the lake level continues to rise over the next few years, he said no, there is no plan. When asked if the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources was concerned about the future of the state park, he replied they were concerned but there is nothing they can do. I was very disheartened to hear this.

Why isn’t the DCNR working to develop a solution so this state park can continue to thrive and be enjoyed by all for years to come? Have they forgotten they are the DCNR that is charged with maintaining and protecting our state parks? Hopefully years and generations from now there will still be a Presque Isle to discover.
jimbridger likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All they have to do is dig a big hole on one side of the park. The hole fills up with water and creates a lake. Water levels drop at other spots. Then Presque Isle will make the list of parks having lakes and water levels will lower. Anyone could have figured this one out.
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Kind of like the letter a Park Warden told me about in Yellowstone. Lady sent them a letter complaining that the bears needed to be better trained. She thought the bears should be trained to come into the camp grounds to photo better.
jimbridger and bohunr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:38 AM

I was there last week. Water is higher than I ever saw it. One source said 31 inches, another said 39 inches higher than normal. Over the last 2 years a lot of beach was lost due to erosion from storms.

The water level will straighten itself out, beaches will need a bunch of attention to make them useable again. Still the best state park in the state IMO.
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Can't they just pull the drain plug for a few minutes to get the water level down........
jimbridger and bohunr like this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:21 AM
The Man

Too many boats displacing the water. They should limit the number and size of them.
jimbridger, bohunr and Steeltrap like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

i thought if they took all the sand dredgers and starting digging out the bottom of the bay, they could make the bay deeper and the water level would go down

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Banned

Well, if everybody got on board with the Green New Deal the glaciers would stop melting so fast and Lake Erie wouldn't be filling up so quickly.
bohunr and ruger300 like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:09 PM
Sage

I don't suppose she ever thought about all the rain we had already this year and all the flooding in PA and other places. Nah, that would be too much to expect.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Simple solution. Since we can change the climate at will, just make it quit raining. How hard was that to figure out?
bohunr likes this.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in