bug issue - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

bug issue

figured that since this isn't hunting or fishing related, I'd put it here:::::::Is anyone having an influx of millipedes? This is the second summer now that they have been in such large numbers. Every morning when I go to breakfast, I squish around 50 to 100 of them on my concrete garage apron and on my masonry walls. I called the Penn State extension office and they were not helpful at all. I can kill them with bug spray, but I'd like to find something that will wipe out the "colonies", without having to spend a fortune on an exterminator. It's gotta be pet safe though, as my dog roams my place when she's out. These "bugs" only show up on my masonry walls, and driveway. I never see them in the gravel parts of my driveways on anywhere on my house or garage walls

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:16 PM

About once a month week get a bazillion tiny ants on our front steps. I dust them with pepper and they leave asap. Might try something like that?

Pence/Putin 2024
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:06 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleben View Post
figured that since this isn't hunting or fishing related, I'd put it here:::::::Is anyone having an influx of millipedes? This is the second summer now that they have been in such large numbers. Every morning when I go to breakfast, I squish around 50 to 100 of them on my concrete garage apron and on my masonry walls. I called the Penn State extension office and they were not helpful at all. I can kill them with bug spray, but I'd like to find something that will wipe out the "colonies", without having to spend a fortune on an exterminator. It's gotta be pet safe though, as my dog roams my place when she's out. These "bugs" only show up on my masonry walls, and driveway. I never see them in the gravel parts of my driveways on anywhere on my house or garage walls

Ben are these worms about one inch long and brownish black. I bet they are. I always heard them referred to as Army worms. They will be gone soon. Sometimes the change comes over night, one afternoon they are all over the basement steps and sometimes the next morning they are all gone. Other times they just thin out till you dont notice them.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
The Man

That's probably what they are. I didn't call them worms because they actually have teeny weeny little legs. This is only the second year I've ever seen them. I'd like to find something to apply that would kill them all continuously until there are no more, but it would have to be pet safe

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:57 PM

I`m pretty sure they are a type of millipede . With all the rain we had last year and this year they have really multiplied. We had 100`s in our basement. Every other day we would just shop vac them up. They seem to almost gone now.

Nature can teach us alot.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Mine are still out in force. I tramp on about 50 to 100 every morning before going to breakfast. The Penn State extension office called them millipedes too. It's a shame some snake, or frog, or other critter doesn't eat them. I squish them , and every two days hose off the apron in front of my garage. When they die on their own, they roll up in little "balls"

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

same problem hundreds of them
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:54 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleben View Post
Mine are still out in force. I tramp on about 50 to 100 every morning before going to breakfast. The Penn State extension office called them millipedes too. It's a shame some snake, or frog, or other critter doesn't eat them. I squish them , and every two days hose off the apron in front of my garage. When they die on their own, they roll up in little "balls"
"There was an old lady who swallowed a fly"...... I've seen more than usual too.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Shootin' for a new record. This morning on the way to breakfast, I squished 73 and when I got home 49 more. Now it's time to hose off the garage apron and start over.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 AM

I spray Ortho around my house and garage and the side walk to my garage is just covered with dead one, i sweep it off next day seems like the same amount. Wait until the eggs hatch, its not hundreds you will see but thousands of young ones will just completely cover the sidewalk to the point you wont see the sidewalk. Seems like every 2 years that happens. I spray them and when they are all dead i sweep into a pile that sometimes is 2 feet wide and a couple inches high. Very annoying and boy do they stink when you squash the real big ones.

4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page