Craigslist scam - Tracker Pro Team 175 $2650 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Craigslist scam - Tracker Pro Team 175 $2650

I saw this listing on Harrisburg.Craigslist today.

2012 Tracker Pro Team 175 $2650 - perfect condition

I got really excited until I figured out it was a scam. Beware!

No town is listed for the boat location in Craigslist, but the google map insert in the listing has the area south of Harriburg set as the location. The contact number was even in the 717 area code. I texted the number. I get a text back saying that his aunt is selling the boat and he gives me her email address. She is going through a divorce. Wants a fresh start etc etc. After a little back and forth I find out that the boat is supposedly in Minnesota but the registration number is for Michigan. Ebay is handling the deal, but their is no Ebay listing for it. Ebay has the boat at their MN warehouse and will ship it to me for free in 3 days. Payment is by Ebay gift card only! ROFLMAO I wonder how many people actually fall for this?

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/bo...931924168.html
jimbridger, bohunr and Dogface like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yup wife & I went through that couple years ago. It was all reply messages back & fourth, sounded to good to be true. I never get great deals. The idiot even had a sad story why selling her Dad car, since he passed away, needed $ to pay funeral expense's etc. When I asked my wife for the phone to look at the pictures of the malibu, read what the idiot wrote will take $ thru pay-pal & the car was to be in State College. That's a 30 minute drive from home. I replied and ask for a phone number to be reached at to meet up in person since the car is in State College, we can be there within the hour. Heard nothing back. Did report that to the police. Didn't hear back from the state police what the out come was. My guess the scammer got away with it, but not with our $ in their pocket's. They moved on to the next victim.

Warning do not buy anything through Craig's list. I heard plenty of rumor's about Craig's list through the years scamming folk's.
jimbridger and bohunr like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 PM

I have bought items from Craigs List. Some seemed odd like tickets to a ball game but I met up in person with the guy and the tickets were great and a great price. Got a boat and a jeep both were in person and cash deals. I also sold on craigs list and only in person and for cash.

I have come across a few too good to be true on craig's list and they were scams. one a truck , one a dog, and one a pontoon boat. The dog deal ended being a drug deal I was told by the police that I reported it to at the time. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
... and only in person and for cash.
This right here!

I buy and sell on Craigslist and other sites, and only deal FTF and cash. And I meet up in public locations such as Sheetz, Rutters or Turkey Hill lots.
jimbridger, bohunr and Huntered like this.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:36 AM

Yes I recall one time I met a guy for tickets to a ball game 4 tickets $100 cash. Said to meet up at a gas station at a truck stop . Well I brought back up in the form of my nephew so no problem. Anyway I told the guy what my vehicle looked like and sat there waiting. I was about to leave when about 25 bikes rolled in the gas station and a guy walks over to me and ask if I had the money for tickets. The deal was ligit but there was a point where I said to myself I am not ready for this one.
Great guy with season seats and I have picked up tickets off him a few years in a row now. But that first time was special. Waugh!
bohunr likes this.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:07 PM

I have bought and sold off of craigs list. Any deal that a person will not talk to you on the phone may be a scam. I always put on my adds phone only no texts, stops most problems. If it is someone add I want to buy from and no phone #, my wife sends an email with my phone #. Ones who will not talk to you on the phone are either crooked or some young kid who is not able to communicate, by actually speaking with a person.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Administrator

I'll just leave this here for anybody that needs a laugh. This goofball lives down the road from me.

https://www.newzjunky.com/lewis-coun...uter-monitors/
jimbridger likes this.

MAGA 2020
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage

You really should remove the Shyster adds from your post.
Steeltrap likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:38 PM

It would be a better story if he purchased the fake money with fake money. Waugh!
bohunr likes this.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:05 AM

I had a similar story last year when a coworker was looking into an enclosed trailer. Long story short, we established pretty quick that it was a scam, but played it out for awhile, just for the entertainment. CL is a good place to do business, just use some common sense ideas as listed in the prior posts. If there's even one red flag, just move on.
jimbridger and bohunr like this.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page