Hurricane Agnes 1972 - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Towards the end of the storm I was making my way to Oregon for work. I flew out of the then currently active Black Moshannon airport. The pilot flew the length of the Susquehanna to the Phil. airport. I think I was supposed to connect out of Harrisburg but the airport was closed. It was also an adventure to make my way to Black Moshannon from Union County.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember Agnes well. My folks had vacation scheduled for that week. We camped at Kiasutha on the Allegheny Reservoir. We got set up in the rain on Saturday. Poured down rain the whole time we were there and we packed up and headed home on Tuesday. Set the tent up on the back yard trying to get it dried out. Well, it rained the entire rest of the week and the entire following week. We had a second trip scheduled for a month later. We couldn't camp on the lake because the water was 40 feet deep over the campground. We ended up staying at the Twin Lakes campground near Mt. Jewett. I never saw it rain that hard for that long and hope never to again.
Danesdad likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:20 AM
Regular Visitor

Agnes

In 1970 bought a property along Susq at Harrisburg. Before buying checked the previous highest flood which was in 1936. It was high and dry during that flood. During 1972 Agnes there was 3 feet of water on the first floor. No flood insurance back then, just a low interest loan on top of the original loan. It was like hitting the lottery in reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhollow View Post
Towards the end of the storm I was making my way to Oregon for work. I flew out of the then currently active Black Moshannon airport. The pilot flew the length of the Susquehanna to the Phil. airport. I think I was supposed to connect out of Harrisburg but the airport was closed. It was also an adventure to make my way to Black Moshannon from Union County.
It was an adventure to fly in or out of that airport anytime. Just getting the deer off the runway to land or takeoff was a common occurrence.
Bigbrownie likes this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coureur De Bois View Post
It was an adventure to fly in or out of that airport anytime. Just getting the deer off the runway to land or takeoff was a common occurrence.
When I was a kid I used to go with my Grandparents to pickup my aunt who would fly in to the Black Moshannon Airport from New York City. Im not sure, but I think it may have been called Mid State Airport. Allegheny Airline, the predecessor of US Air, flew out of there. My Grandfather would take me there and wed go flying with a friend of his in his Piper. We would fly out Ridge Road, circle Renova, and come back.

I took a ride out through the Black Moshannon SP last summer, trying to remember where the airport was located. I found it, looks like a manufacturing company took over the hangars.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
When I was a kid I used to go with my Grandparents to pickup my aunt who would fly in to the Black Moshannon Airport from New York City. Im not sure, but I think it may have been called Mid State Airport. Allegheny Airline, the predecessor of US Air, flew out of there. My Grandfather would take me there and wed go flying with a friend of his in his Piper. We would fly out Ridge Road, circle Renova, and come back.

I took a ride out through the Black Moshannon SP last summer, trying to remember where the airport was located. I found it, looks like a manufacturing company took over the hangars.
Not maned anymore, used occasionally by small private aircraft. When I worked at university park airport the FedX pilots would land there if we were fogged in. We would give them a call when we got above minimums and they would then take off and fly to kunv. If that didnt happen, the trucks would go to Black Moshannon airport, dont know if they still do that or not anymore. Great place to go star gazing on a clear night.
You are correct on both the name and manufacturing company.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coureur De Bois View Post
That it was. The one and only time I flew out of that airport. A fitting airport for the then "Agony" Airline, that provided "service".
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:38 AM

My very young son and myself were camped on the Allegheny at that time. Fortunately I put our tent very high on a bank, dug ditches around the tent to divert the water and things I would not have done if camping along. I went down during the night pulled my boat as far as I possibly could and tied it off with a very long rope without the long rope it would have washed away. I also took the motor off the boat and carried it to the top on the hill.

The next morning the water was within 30 feet of our tent and we could see buildings, full trees etc. going down the river. We were planning three days but left the next morning.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:43 AM

Sometime in the 30s, the corps of engineers did a flood control project on the creek that ran through my town. This basically resulted in the creek bed being channeled down a straight, deep cement trough for it's entire length through town. Normally, the walls of this trough and about half of the bottom were dry. If you were on the ground near it. you could look down in and about 30 feet below, you'd see a trickle of water running down the middle. During Agnes, that whole thing was filled to within three feet of the top and raging. That area never did flood, but I've never seen that trough even half as full of water as it was during Agnes.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:00 AM

We were camping just before Agnes hit. Not sure where we started but as the storm approached we made a dash up to Pa. Made it to Caledonia State Park before it hit. The Rangers came around with a warning "if you are leaving now's the time" before the creek floods at the entrance. We stayed along with 2 guys in a tent. The camping area was up the hill so we were relatively safe from flooding and the Rangers checked up on us daily. I think they hiked in from the back side of the park (?). We were in a trailer so pretty dry - the guys in the tent pretty much lived in the bath house. Lots of marathon Yahtzee and card games with a few hikes in the rain mixed in. I think were were "stranded" there for 3 days before the bridge was usable again.

Did we go home(Reading area)..... nope we finished our vacation week(?) up at newly opened Locust Lake State Park. Crossing over the "81" bridge above Harrisburg the river was maybe a foot below the road surface(they did close the bridge a day later). Locust Lake was nice no damage there and the trout were biting. The homestead was spared although downtown Reading took a big hit.

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now? Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page