What would have happened to me? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:13 PM
The Man

...quick thinking on getting him to stop....I wouldn't have been able to bite my tongue if someone got upset at me from stopping them from killing someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester farmer View Post
This morning I was stopped for a school bus. The speed limit was 50 mph. I stopped way back. And put my hazards on. Thinking that I would give drivers behind me a good heads-up. As the kids crossed the road the first car approached behind me. The driver didn't slow down but rather proceeded to pass me. I whipped my front end over as a reaction an accelerated when I saw it coming. He swerved to avoid me but slammed the brakes on stopping. I got a friendly wave from the bus driver as they passed. Had I hit him? My fault I'm guessing? Would I have been charged with anything? It was a reaction. And if it kept the kids from getting hit I'm fine with the consequences. But I'm guessing that could have ended up bad for me. Got me thinking that I was about to bite off more than I could chew even though I didn't have time to think through it. Also made me wonder if my blinkers didn't cause confusion. The guy I swerved in front of was pretty upset at me
Let him be upset, the idiot. Kudos to you for perhaps preventing a tragedy.
4x4dad and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:39 PM
Banned

Back around 1985 or 86 I was on my way to the game lands on rt 501, a two lane state road, in Lancaster Co. north of Lititz heading north. I was driving down a long steep hill obviously a no passing zone. All of a sudden I saw a car passing me at a high rate of speed, he passed me and about 8 other cars, I estimated his sped to be close to 100 mph. There was a light ahead about a 8th of a mile and there was a school bus stopped discharging students at that light. This idiot never slowed down and went around the school bus in the oncoming traffic lane on the other side of the light. Kids scattered everywhere and fortunately none got hit. As soon as the bus started to move and turned left and I cleared the light, I ht my reds and the siren and took off after the moron. When I got to the next light at the intersection of state rt 322 I saw traffic was stalled, then I saw the vehicle I was after parked in the middle of the north bound lane just beyond the intersection. People pulled over and left me go around them and I got the the guys car I saw he was passed out behind the wheel. I opened his door and woke him up and it was obvious he was stoned on something, I smelled no weed. I pushed him over and moved his car off the road in to a parking of a stop and rob and tried to question him. He was too far in outer space to have a conversation with I took his car keys and got his information, registration etc and radioed for a state trooper. I had the school bus number so I called the school and told them what happened and asked for the bus driver to contact me. She did and she had not thought to get the license plate number of the vehicle so I was glad I did. I told PSP I would be happy to testify gave them my contact number and waited. No one ever got back to me to testify so I have no idea what happened. We were not allowed to enforce traffic violations at that time so I had done all I could do but in my mind it wasn't enough. There are some very stupid people on the road and our illustrious governor wants to legalize MJ so there will be more under the influence drivers to contend with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonM View Post
When they get too close I put my flashers on, this usually backs them up a distance..
I usually slow down until they back off . I like the flasher idea though . If there is a LEO coming the other way it could draw their attention and get the person cited . I like it !
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:29 AM

Intentionally pulling into his path, could be charged as a number of crimes, including assault.

A woman school bus bus driver that I knew decades ago, had a stop where people routinely ran passed the bus as it was stopped to pick up kids. The bus driver took a large plastic "baby doll" and flung it out the window onto a car that came passing her from behind. There was heck of major proportions to pay that day when she was called to the transportation office. The motorist was there screaming about how she almost had a heart attack. A Maryland state police officer showed up and asked the motorist if she wanted the bus driver charged? to which the motorist said yes indeed. The state trooper wrote some kind of patsy citation and then looked at the bus driver and asked if the bus driver wanted the motorist charged. You know where this is going. The motorist was charged and got an automatic license suspension to boot. The trooper did tell the bus driver if she ever pulled a stunt like that again, he would make certain that she would need bail money. The trooper was sitting near that stop almost every day for the next few weeks and nailed some more folks for passing a stopped school bus. Not so sure he wasn't also watching the bus driver.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:06 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

All the good Samaritans that brake check create an unsafe condition just as much as a driver exceeding speed limit and should be fined as such. You are not the keeper of the speed limit. Too many people worried about what the other guy is doing. This creates unsafe road rage conditions. It is just as simple to just get out of the way. I taught my daughter to just get out of the way. You have no idea the mission the offender is on. Could be someone trying to get to hospital or going to assist a family member in a bad situation.
Every day I get behind 5-7 do gooders on my way to work who think they are going the speed limit and are actually going 10-15 under and riding their brake pedal at every slight bend in the road, up hill and down. I drive a lot and see some really stupid things done by do gooders trying to play policeman. Like the moron in a Prius brake checking an 18 wheeler.
My trip to work takes an hour during the week and 25 minutes on Saturday and Sunday all due to people riding in the driver seat screwing with their phone, afraid to drive, can't see, can't find the gas pedal , only know where brake pedal is, or any other stupid driver excuse so spare me your do gooder keeper of the speed limit crap.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:23 AM
Banned

The topic is passing school buses, not speed control.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post

that is true...... but..............HPA is famous through out internet land for thread drift....................

NRA life member
DU member
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
The way I read Chester`s post was ….He put his flashers on pretty far back of the school bus, thinking he would warn and slow down vehicles coming up behind him, but this driver decided to pass him instead, ( maybe thinking Chester was broke down ) but he did stop for the bus and did not blow by it.
When Chester saw this car coming at a high rate of speed, he veered his car to the left across the center line a little in attempt to slow this guy down some, the guy swerved around him and hit the brakes. Yes, there could have been a wreck, in that case it would have been Chesters fault even though he thought he was doing the right thing. That is the way I saw it, he didn`t say if it was on a bend or a curve which could have added to the issue...

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Didn't see you respond when Steelhead, Ron M and others responded about something other than school buses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page