Dumbest or funniest thing you've done at a work function - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Dumbest or funniest thing you've done at a work function

The thread in the general forum got me to thinking about this. What was the dumbest or funniest thing you've ever done at a work related function???

For me it's a no-brainer. When I was 21 and had just graduated college, I was hired into a management position with a company who was headquartered in Columbus, Ohio. I finished the training program and had to go to Columbus for the final training session, final tests and graduation ceremony. There were 33 of us in the class. After we took the final test, a few of the corporate big-whigs came into the room to speak to us. It was the week leading up to Christmas and they invited us all to dinner and then to have a few drinks. Well. I had too much to drink for dinner, let me tell you, and I was feeling no pain at all. We left the restaurant and went to a sports bar to watch games, shoot pool, play darts, etc. The entrance to the sports bar was down a set of concrete stairs in the basement of a building. It was snowing outside and the walks were covered. I was up near the front of the group. The first people down these stairs were my district manager, the director of operations and the vice president of the company. All three of them are on the stairway and I was right behind them. At the top of the stairs, between being drunk and them being snow covered, I lost my footing and fell down, went down those steps like a toboggan and cleaned the legs out from under all three of the company execs. We were laying in a pile of snow and slush in a big heap at the bottom and I just couldn't quit laughing. I know they knew I was drunk but they handled it well. Needless to say, they shut me off drinking for the night. Let me tell you, I was the talk of the party the rest of the night. At the meeting the next day, they called me to the front of the room and had a pretty good time with it.
Surprisingly, I worked at that company for 22 years and every time one of them saw me they brought it up.
bohunr and Vonfoust like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 08:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

40 years ago I was a carpenters helper in a large industrial plant. We were hanging a door from loading dock to the hall. After hanging the door I was told to open/close repeatedly while the closer was adjusted. There was a small 12x12 window in the door. After doing this multiple times ,I look thru the widow and see this very pained look on Charlies face. he was mouthing something so I opened the door and he screamed some not so nice words. Seems I had closed the door on his fingers(why they were in the jamb,I don't know) and pinched them badley. Back in the shop he drilled thru 4 black fingernails to relieve the blood. Sprayed everywhere. He lost all 4 fingernails. Felt so bad and for years I could not live that one down. Until he died, Charlie would always hold up his hand with 4 mishapened fingernails to remind me.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 08:37 AM

Worked for USS in Braddock, PA on a foundry Labor gang. One snowy night in 1969 the foreman sent me outside with a broom to clean off the track switches for the railroaders. Being a perfectionist I threw the switch arms to make sure I got any snow that was lurking under them. And also being aware that the train ground-crew would re-position the switches according to where the train was going, I did not pay attention to returning the switch to its original position..... Big mistake.
About a half hour later an entire train crew came boiling into the shop looking for the $%^&%%$ (this would be yours truly) who screwed up the switches and now the locomotive was on the ground. Frankly I was ready to fight because I knew that although I should have returned them switches to the original position that the train crew was responsible for ensuring they were set correctly. Also, back then I actually enjoyed a good fight - win or lose, it did not matter. Anyhow, my foreman intervened and me and my chief accuser let go of each go after some intense pushing (preliminary stuff).
It was then that I noticed that the engineer of the train, who was standing there stone faced, arms crossed, was my DAD......
It was a very cold winter that year in Allegheny County, very cold indeed.
buzz and Bates like this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Sage

I was in construction and working on a high rise building. A few of us were in the freight elevator which was run by an operator. We had a guy on our crew who could do ventriloquism and throw his voice. He was really good at it.

As the elevator starts to move he throws his voice and says, "help me." It sounds like it came from the top of the elevator car.

The operator stops the elevator and yells, "Where you at?"

He says, "I'm up here."

Operator, "where?"

Again he says, "up here, help me."

Operator. "Hang on, I'm coming."

The operator goes up two floors and stops and yells, "Where are you."

He says, "you passed me, I'm down here."

At this, we all busted out laughing and the operator is not happy with us but he still doesn't know what is going on because he thinks he heard a guy who was stuck in the elevator shaft.

We finally told him and he gave us a few expletives but then laughed himself.
jimsdad likes this.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

35+ years ago I was working building maintenance in a factory. machine shop ran the whole back wall of the building. Several large I beam hoist also ran along the whole shop. Young machine mechanic who was not doin his job to the satisfaction of the machine operators, he went on vacation. They welded all the wheels on his service cart at 45 degree angle along with welding all doors and drawers shut. Chained it up and hoisted it 30' in the air. Maintenance got a bogus work order to disconnect the power to the hoist. Kid comes back and was almost crying. After a good laugh the guys helped get the cart down. a few years later he was working in our shop and wasn't a bad worker at all. Just young and dumb ,like we all were once.

Shop shenanigans: limburger cheese smeared on the lathes,punch presses and spindle drills 150 watt work lites, stunk the shop bad
Most machines had hard seat stools that guys would cover with foam. Punch holes in the tape and squirt as much water as the foam would hold.
Always a shop cheapskate, guy was always sticking his finger in the vending machine return tray lookin for nickles. somebody saw him comin and dropped a hot slug in the tray.
Lathe operator hogging too much material off a shaft and heavy curl wrapped around his arm and hand which had a glove on it. Bloody mess. He comes back to work the next day and crime scene tape all over, body outline and bloody glove on floor. Some of the best guys I ever worked with, but they never missed a chance to have some fun at your expense.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was working for Dolly Madison and was training a new guy on a route. He backed into a truck, bumper to bumper with hardly any damage. The guy said not to worry about it so we gave him a couple of boxes of donuts and left. 2 stops later he backs into one of the safety poles. No damage to the truck. So we're driving down the street and he knocks the mirror off of someone's car. I was in such disbelief and just waved for him to keep driving. We got to our next stop and I drove the rest of the day. He quit that night.

Another time when I worked for Dana Corp, we had a temp who was trying to make it as a permanent employee. I took a phone call and he was standing beside me. The call had nothing to do with him. I told him HR called and he failed his drug test. He put his RF down and started walking out the door. I basically had to tackle him before he got outside. Several others were in on the prank too. Everyone was laughing so hard. He called me a son of a ..... started laughing too.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:45 PM

Years ago I worked a job and we decided to pull a prank on the boss. Someone got a key to his office and we filled the thing floor to ceiling with balloons. We watched on the security camera as he opened the door and all these balloons came rolling out into the hall. He was a good sport.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Maintenance tech at keystone real estate, had a work order to repair something in apt. 308. Well i did not want to go in that apt. I had another employee on the property helping me catch up on my work orders. I said to Mike, you never been in this apt. the chick in there is hot, there was more then that but i can't say on here. He takes the work order from my hand, said i be back. Another thing mike, no follow ups, complete the work on the order and be done with it, so i don't have to go back there. Plus remember take off your shoes at the foyer before you go any further.

Mike is a good guy, i knew he wouldn't turn around once she open the door. He comes out the front door later walking to me while i was repairing gutter's. He saids you never told me she looks like she came from another planet and has 4 kids age's 1-7 running around with soak diapers an the apt. smelled like ----, trash everywhere, cock roach's crawling all over the ceiling an walls. To get around starting at the front door you have to walk on top of crap to get where you had to go. No never took off my shoes. Were still buddies till this day...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 08:57 AM

I was a rookie patrolman when I finally got the nod to ride alone. We finished roll call and I couldn't wait to get in that car and catch all the bad guys. I no sooner got all my equipment in and started the car when I got my first call.....I remember it like it just happened, it was a fight on the highway call. Well I threw on the lights stepped on the gas and hit the police car parked next to me, the steering wheel had been cut to the right whoever parked it last. So much for catching baddies, I couldn't even get out of the parking lot. I had been assigned to car 8. I walked into the station and go into the Lts. office, who I was scared to death of, I say Lt, I just hit 7 car and he lets out a little laugh and says, haha what did you hit it with. I said 8 car, he didn't laugh anymore and I saw his face go bright red.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 09:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt rudy View Post
I was a rookie patrolman when I finally got the nod to ride alone. We finished roll call and I couldn't wait to get in that car and catch all the bad guys. I no sooner got all my equipment in and started the car when I got my first call.....I remember it like it just happened, it was a fight on the highway call. Well I threw on the lights stepped on the gas and hit the police car parked next to me, the steering wheel had been cut to the right whoever parked it last. So much for catching baddies, I couldn't even get out of the parking lot. I had been assigned to car 8. I walked into the station and go into the Lts. office, who I was scared to death of, I say Lt, I just hit 7 car and he lets out a little laugh and says, haha what did you hit it with. I said 8 car, he didn't laugh anymore and I saw his face go bright red.
Sure it wasn't car 54?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page