World War II Souvenirs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Sage

World War II Souvenirs

After reading the Battle of the Bulge thread I thought about a knife I have. It's a World War II US Navy issue Kabar knife with the original scabbard. It's in really good condition for being over 75 years old.

It belonged to a friend/co-worker of mine. The knife is well traveled, as he was on a ship of the coast of Japan. He said they were preparing for the invasion of Japan in 1945. After the war, he was stationed in Japan. So, the knife has a little history to go with it.

Anybody else have WW II stuff.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My dad got the same USN sheath knife from his uncle in 1943 or 44. He used it all thru his Boy Scout days. Good leather on sheath and handle washers. I now have it.....somewhere. Lost track of it when I moved a few years ago. Thought it was with my hunting stuff
Dads older cousin "liberated" a pair of Polish Artillery Binoculars from a German officer along with a leather clamshell case with a carved meerschaum skull pipe. Supposedly for smoking hashish or heroin as the bowl is really too small for tobacco. Also got a rubberized canvas poncho, but the rubber is flaking off in places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bino-skull.jpg (183.5 KB, 7 views)

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"

Last edited by Wald Jager; 12-18-2017 at 07:15 AM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Wow! The skull pipe looks like it is a collectors item, very unusual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:29 PM

I have 3 German bayonets in really good condition
also a german WWI trench knife that was well used
its previous owner carved notches in the handle and painted them red.

at one point as a kid I had a whole bag of german insignias badges and medals
but they were stolen and pawned at some point,but I still have a handful around somewhere
along with a few American armoured badges and medals from my grandfather

from what my grandfather told me , he also brought/sent home a large collection of small arms
lugers, smgs ,mousers etc
however he caught my father in the gun closet as a child ,and sold them off

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 AM
Sage

Over the years I collected afew items; a couple of German bayonets, Luftwaffe officers dress dagger, assortment of German badges and pins, and a rare German MP 40 machinegun, US 1918 LF&C knuckle trench knife from a guy whose grandfather carried it on Utah Beach, a model 26 Japanese pistol. All of these I eventually sold. I still have a FN Herstal pistol that I got from a friend whose Dad got off a German soldier and a USN Mark 2 Camillus 1943 fighting knife.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc 21 View Post
Wow! The skull pipe looks like it is a collectors item, very unusual.
The detail is incredible, very fine carving . Dad says the pipe stem is somewhere, hasn't seen it in 50 years thru 3 house moves.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 08:09 AM

I have a Purple Heart and the Flag, that was left to me when my mother passed. It was her brother`s, my uncle Joe, he was KIA and MIA in Hatten, France, Jan 19th, 1945...Proudly displayed on my wall....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 08:24 AM

Personally all I have is my dad's Honorable Discharge from the USN in 1946, which I have on display with mine from the USMC.
However, my cousin has a German Luger his dad (my dad's brother) brought back from WWII. He was in the Battle of the Bulge and every now and then (when he thought us kids were not listening) he would relate a story or two to my dad Hair-raising....sometimes they were hard to listen to.
My good friend's dad, who lived right across the street from us, had a ton of stuff and he would open this big cabinet he had and show it to us now and then. He was an armorer with Patton's 3rd Army.
My son has his grandfather's officers sword from WWII. He was a full-bull Colonel in the 29th Infantry and went in on Omaha Beach. Second wave, I believe, as their boat got hung up on some off shore obstacles and delayed their landing. I never met him because he died just before I met my former wife but I have done some research on his military career. I wish I had had a chance to speak with him.
America's Greatest Generation.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Regular Visitor

My dad brought a 7.7mm Jap rifle home from the Pacific Theater. I asked how he got it and he said he grabbed it from one of the huge piles of them everywhere after the surrender. He was in the Navy and kept a list of his Ship's activities. He was aboard a LSD and was involved in some big ones...Leyte Gulf, Okinawa, and many more. He put a new stock on the 7.7 and used it for deer hunting his entire life. My brother now has it. How he got it home I have no idea. My uncle had confiscated a pair of German Zeiss binoculars...I heard he got from a captain of a German sub. He was a merchant marine captain of a Liberty Ship and made many trips across the Atlantic. Do remember using those binoculars as a kid spotting deer in Center County when we went to camp on Krise Valley Rd. My cousin has those binocs now along with my Uncle's sextant.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
How he got it home I have no idea.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page