WWII Battle of The Bulge - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes
  • 4 Post By rem760
  • 3 Post By capt rudy
  • 2 Post By kudu58

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

WWII Battle of The Bulge

December 16, 1944 was the start of the Battle of The Bulge. Yesterday I had the pleasure of being visited by a 95 year-old WWII Army Veteran who fought in this major battle in the Ardennes Forest Region. I have known this man most of my life, worked with him and bought my house from him and he very seldom mentions his war time experience. Yesterday he showed up and talked about the war for 3 hours, he told me the day was just bringing back many memories of them few weeks and he needed somebody to talk to, his wife had passed away recently. He is one tough cookie, the last of a dying breed, and his mind is good for 95 years, he spoke in detail of events that happened 73 years ago, a lifetime ago for most people. He was telling a story about all the bombs and artillery going off at 3AM and said the sky was so lit up you could of read a newspaper. He is a comical old guy and I asked "So Mike, where you reading a paper, he replied, heck no, I was digging deeper in a foxhole, trying to stay alive". The Greatest Generation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:54 AM

They are THE GREATEST GENERATION......The Legion I go to near camp has a WWII vet that is a member....He was a bomber Pilot...I sat and talked, actually listened to him, one night for 2 hours. He told me about some of his bombing runs, the men that died, holes in his plane. Just recently he told me he wanted to show me his Silver Star..... The great thing is he cannot buy a drink in there and you can't buy him one, it's all free for him... He still gets around, sharp as a tack and is still driving, God Bless Him.....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:54 AM
The Man

My grandfather was a Lieutenant in the 6th Armored Division and fought, and won a Bronze Star, in the Battle of the Bulge. How I wish I could sit down with him for even one hour right now and ask some questions that I was too young and dumb to ask when I could.

You are very lucky for this experience.
timberdoodle and BCozhunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Sage

My wife's uncle was KIA on April 15, 1945 in Belgium, three weeks before VE Day. He is buried at the American Military Cemetery in Margraten, Netherlands.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Part of the Community

God bless them! My Grandfather was in the Pacific - the liberator force for the Philippines. Miss you Granpop!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Sage

My Dad was in the Battle of thee Bulge, he really didn't like to talk about it, but occasionally you could get something out of him. He got 3 battle stars for WW2....He had PTSD but they didnt have a nme for it then,he would wake up in the middle of the night thinking he was surrounded by Germans,it was called 'shell shock'......
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 02:48 PM

My Dad was in the Philippines It was rough there but from listening to him I always believed he would do it all over again. I remember him pointing out men that you could tell had problems and telling me they were shell shocked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page