TV advise - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

TV advise

So I have had it with cable TV. Too expensive and there is nothing on that I can not do without (at least I think so...). I now mostly listen to the radio and when I watch TV it's only for local news.
Does anyone have just basic TV service without cable and can you tell me what you receive in terms of local news and maybe syndicated shows?
My Comcast bill is now in the $93 area and I could use that money for other things.
Also, my internet service is Verizon so there would not be a conflict if I cut the cable.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:37 PM

I went with basic cable(roughly 14 channels/major networks) for a few years and then just a digital antenna for a few years also. IMO the biggest thing I missed was live sports...ESPN, local professional baseball and hockey games, etc... Certainly there is some cable networks and shows that I missed, but I could do without them. Sometimes I was able to find live streams of the sporting events that I wanted online but it was hit or miss and sometimes in a foreign language haha. I know a lot of people are into these firesticks and other gadgets, but I've yet to see anyway to tune into live local sports. That's the biggest barrier for me.

The digital antenna's work ok if you're close to a major urban area, but I'm not sure that they would work well outside of that. Also the reception was pretty weak during storms and bad weather.

P.S. I don't have this problem anymore because my wife is a pretty avid TV watcher so I don't think she would ever agree to cutting the cord.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:53 AM

we have a bundled TV cable/high speed internet/phone deal with comcast. A year ago, I was really mad at them when they cut two of my favorite channels. But Mrs. and I both need high speed internet and the xfinity go anywhere and piggy back off xfinity wifi is great. We have yet to use the phone, or get a call although the phone has been installed for three months.

We still have one tv on an antenna in the kitchen, for during power outages or when the cable is down. we get 11 digital channels just with the TV key. It is also a Samsung smart TV, so when the internet is up, I can use the TV to surf the net, stream videos e. I can even use my samsung phone as a remote. I have a wireless keyboard with an incorporated mouse pad to use with the TV. I watch some instructional youtube videos and being able to bring them up on the TV makes them easier to watch. When the history channel was playing a special series, I could watch that show free on demand over their net site on my kitchen tv through the wifi. My local public TV station does not show the Woodwright shop and I can stream recent shows from the net to my TV as if watching it over the airwaves, but with the ability to back up and watch it again. A few cable channels offer their shows the same way over the net without being a cable customer.

A note of caution, not all TV's offerred for sale now have digital tuners to work with antennas. Also, not all "smart" tvs have the chip capacity to surf the internet. Some are limited to services like netflix and hulu.

Laslty, the computer geek up the road uses a wireless keyboard hooked to a giant water cooled, neon tube, computer tower that uses his 75 inch TV as a monitor. He can play a game, watch tv and surf the net simultaneously from his recliner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

You can have internet as long as your line is still there

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks folks for the comments and guidance. I am going to go through a trial period starting today in which I turn that TV off to see if there are any withdrawal symptoms. So far - so good.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:23 PM

I let that junk go years ago.. my two boys 4&6 watch pbs its he best any ways for them, i all so have netflix for them to watch cartoons.
i have verizon internet as well. I spend an extra 10$ a month on my internet bill to get extended local channels.. from them it just boosts all the local stuff into a cable from them it was free for year and 10 for the next with my internet. i have no house phone.my 4 year old son can load netflix an watch any thing he wants.. my 62 year old dad .. Can not lol go figure these days huh lol
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavage View Post
I let that junk go years ago.. my two boys 4&6 watch pbs its he best any ways for them, i all so have netflix for them to watch cartoons.
i have verizon internet as well. I spend an extra 10$ a month on my internet bill to get extended local channels.. from them it just boosts all the local stuff into a cable from them it was free for year and 10 for the next with my internet. i have no house phone.my 4 year old son can load netflix an watch any thing he wants.. my 62 year old dad .. Can not lol go figure these days huh lol
Are you saying that for an extra fee of $10 you get these extended local channels on your laptop? I have Verizon internet and what you have there sounds exactly what I need.

How do I get this same thing?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i got rid of cable almost 2 years ago and hove not missed it at all. we purchased an antenna for $35 and receive 18 channels. i can pick up local channels from wilkes-berre and Harrisburg for news. also, like others have said, pbs is a big hit with the kids. especially since pbs 2 is a kids channel all day. i was like you and i didn't watch tv much anyways, so when i got rid of it, it wasn't a hard transition. hope this helps!
jimsdad likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

also, there are websites that you can click on your location and they will tell you approximately how many and what channels you should be able to receive with an antenna.
jimsdad likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad View Post
Are you saying that for an extra fee of $10 you get these extended local channels on your laptop? I have Verizon internet and what you have there sounds exactly what I need.

How do I get this same thing?
i get them on the tv
there might be some type of app to use on your computer.
but yes verizon cable goes in to the back of the tv from a regular cable line. I dont watch the channels I got it cause pbs wouldent come in good but its like 10.99 call up verizon and ask Fios TV Local Service. I dont have a cable box or nothing.. plug cable in back of tv and hit auto find channels the 6 year old says he as 100 channels .. that means its prob about 20 ish lol
jimsdad likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page