Stove Pellets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Stove Pellets

The 2 Home Depots in Dauphin county have their pellets for $3.99 bag, $199.00 a ton. Spring stuff is coming in now. Plus the mostly, mild winter is leaving places stuck with them. The last ton I got at Lowes, before the blizzard, was $4.92 a bag on Lowes card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Stove Pellets

I've been meaning to check up on pellet prices. I bought Lignetics for $250/ton delivered in August. Not a bad price at the time, but I've been wondering if the overall mild winter has left a lot of stock.

It's my first year with a pellet stove, but I'm wondering how well pellets will keep from this heating season till next...? I have room to store a couple tons under-roof if the price is right and they'll stay useful from now till next fall/winter.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:11 AM
Part of the Community

No worries on storage, as long as you've got them well covered or indoors. I've got about 2 1/2 tons left at this point and hope I can have a least a ton at the end of the season. I'm running two pellet inserts, upstairs and down. Good luck!

Be good, and you will be lonesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:00 AM
The Man

Say the same at Lowes in Altoona today. They have three different brands, not sure which is the best kind. Might have to stock up early for next season.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 10:48 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcat
No worries on storage, as long as you've got them well covered or indoors. I've got about 2 1/2 tons left at this point and hope I can have a least a ton at the end of the season. I'm running two pellet inserts, upstairs and down. Good luck!
Thank you.

I've got a very large shed, big enough that my Nissan Titan truck would fit inside if the door was wide enough to let it in. The walls are sheeted inside with plywood, and it's got a 2nd story loft for storage, so there's a bit of a buffer to the outside. I stack the pellets on cardboard sheets (to keep them from being right on the concrete floor) and up the one wall. They've done ok for the winter, but wasn't sure if they'd stay ok for a full year like that.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:08 PM

I bought a ton of o'malley pellets at the beginning of the season. When that was getting down, I got a ton of statesman pellets at the local feedmill. The latter give off more heat. Unsure why but I can use fewer in this last stretch of cold weather tHan i was using of the omalley when the weat her was warmer..
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

I always have some left from the previous year. I keep mine against the back of the house on 2 skids. I poured a slab before I built my upper deck. I have a big sheet of roofing rubber hanging over the deck joists. I was going to put corrogated panels under the upper deck deck last year, but ended up having rotator surgery. Still have 98 bags left this year.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:01 PM
Sage

How much would it take to heat a 12-1500 sq. ft. house for a season and I know there are so many variables , but ballpark figure....
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:15 PM

Our home is 1500 square feet and we use between 3 and 4 tons for a typical winter . I have no place to store over the summer , so I get 3 tons and it works out fine .

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Daughter and son in law bought a pellet stove for this winter.. they started off with Tractor Supply brand..which very quickly burnt. now they are using a brand from Sunday's mill @ $265 ton which has been lasting much longer during the burnt cycle .. so I'm guessing a pellet is not a pellet some are better than others.. where's the best price for off season purchase in the Dillsburg area ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page