I guess cops aren't so bad after all. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I guess cops aren't so bad after all.

I went through a hellish situation recently. I borrowed a relatives truck and was pulled over for speeding and learned that the truck was not registered. To make matters worse the registration sticker on the license plate was fake. This was a Florida truck with Florida plates. I honestly had no idea. Anyway I got a citation for speeding, not having registration, and a summary citation for the fake sticker. The trooper told me it could have been a misdemeanor. I was super [censored]. I went to court and the relative who did this came and was a real snot to the trooper and admittedly denied the truck wasn't registered. The trooper told me he believed I didn't know about the registration and gave me the summary citation instead. He even kept calm when being beggared by my low life relative. Anyway I was super ticked off and didn't know who to believe. I did some research afterwards and discovered that the truck wasn't registered and the sticker was fake. I also learned that counterfeiting a registration sticker, plate, ect is in fact a misdemeanor in the first degree. I really could have gotten screwed. I am glad that trooper had enough sense to see the situation for what it was and not jump on the chance to charge someone with a crime. Having an M1 on my record could have done serious damage. Also, if I ever borrow a vehicle again I am going to make sure everything is legit no matter who owns it. Unfortunately you can't trust anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 06:09 AM
atr
Banned

Re: I guess cops aren't so bad after all.

Two things to keep in mind when borrowing a relatives vehicle . #1 Drive the speed limit #2 never trust the fuel gage.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Sage

It is the responsibility of the driver to make sure all is legit before going out on the public highway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

A summary citation for not have registration is one thing but a M1 for possession of counterfeit registration material is another. That could have ended up badly. Jail, probation, loss of gun rights.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr
Two things to keep in mind when borrowing a relatives vehicle . #1 Drive the speed limit #2 never trust the fuel gage.
#3. Never trust a relative.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:47 AM

#4 when you get to be Ron's age, don't trust a fart.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:17 PM

I know a guy who lives in the hills around Harrisburg, good friend of my family. He has no drivers license and none of his vehicles are insured or registered. He's been operating like this all his life and he's in his 60s. He has been pulled over several times, once with my cousin in the passenger seat. In every case the officer realizes it's just too much paperwork and lets him go scot-free, ain't worth the trouble.

My favorite is the plate he has on his trailer- it's a black and white PA plate w/the word "PERMANENT" stamped into the metal. Looks like it's from about 1930.

Last time I saw him we were target shooting on one of the several properties he owns. When he left, he tossed 2 armfuls of rifles and shotguns into the back of his open-top Jeep and drove off. I asked my cousin "how is it that he has never spent a day in jail?".

He's not a bad guy, never hurt anyone or stole anything, just marches to the beat of his own drum.

BH

When was the last time you heard somebody say "Go ahead, it's a free country"?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:49 PM
Sage

I don't know what the "officer realizes" but it looks like three motor vehicle violations to me unlicensed, unregistered, no proof of insurance. Three tickets. not a lot of paperwork. Vehicle gets a tow to impound lot. Easy peeezy.

wmu 3A
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It depends on the trooper/cop and the situation I guess. In large cities it isn't uncommon for cops to let people go for simple drug possession. Cops in places like Newark NJ and North Philly don't have the time to arrest every addict they come across. They just tell them to dump the dope and never go back to that neighborhood again. The system is so backed up in places like that they just don't have enough cells to house every low level offender.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I don't know what the "officer realizes" but it looks like three motor vehicle violations to me unlicensed, unregistered, no proof of insurance. Three tickets. not a lot of paperwork. Vehicle gets a tow to impound lot. Easy peeezy.
Yes, iff'n you, as an officer, feel like standing there in the heat or the rain dealing w/that, sitting there for an hour or more waiting for a tow, and dealing with a 6ft 4 300 Lb wildman w/a beard down to his waste and arms as thick as your thighs raising a storm on a side-road with no backup for miles around. He's sort of a scary looking dude, Charles Manson stare sort of thing.

I imagine being large and scary may be helpful in such a situation. I have no doubt if a pimple faced teenager or a 50 year old 110 Lb woman were pulled over under similar circumstances, they'd get the whole 9 yards.

BH

When was the last time you heard somebody say "Go ahead, it's a free country"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page