Does the PSP enforce Federal law? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Does the PSP enforce Federal law?

I am curious. I have been researching federal vs. states laws and the enforcement of those laws. For example, in some state felons are allowed to own guns under state law but not under federal law. In those states LEO's have to contact a federal LEO so they can press charges. How does this work in PA? Can the PSP or local LEO's enforce federal laws that do not coincide with PA state laws? Or would they have to contact a federal LEO? There is also the marijuana issue in some states. I find all of this a little scary. How are people supposed to know what laws to follow when there is conflict between state and federal. It may be legal for someone with a criminal record to posses a firearm in a certain state. However, under federal law they might get whacked by federal LEO's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Sage

Re: Does the PSP enforce Federal law?

When I was sworn in as a Trooper in Delaware , it was enforce all Federal, state and local laws..I would assume it is the same for all state and municipal police agencies throughout the country..
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:17 PM
Sage

We had no jurisdictional authority to enforce federal statute...

I ran into this in a counterfeit investigation and could only charge for theft by deception.. the counterfeiting was handled by Treasury Dept. Secret Service.

Additionaly, I arrested a mail carrier for twenty two bags of cocaine and 180K of stolen American Express Money Orders. I did not charge him for the stolen money orders, that was turned over to Postal Inspectors and I was called as a witness in Federal Court Foley Square Manhattan NY.

Same with illegal immigrants I dealt with... I could charge them for any crime under State Statute but the immigration was TOT ICE. One Japanese family (husbasnd & wife) I arrested for Bank Fraud had been deported 4X previously.

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:20 PM

IMHO , I would respect almost any armed uniformed ( security guard ? ) LEO at initial conflict . Put yourself in their shoes . They have no idea who you are or what your capable of in a confrontational situation . Afterwards , see them in court if I disagreed with the law or how they handled the situation .
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:23 PM

Let me guess. You turned over all that Coke to now former Judge Paul Pozonsky to hold as evidence ?

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/washin...es/201503200329

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I just think this is interesting. I was reading that Alaska has made it a felony to enforce federal gun laws. I guess that means that state LEO's could actually get in trouble for doing so. I was also reading that there are a lot of firearms owners in Vermont who are not barred from ownership under state law but are under federal law and state LEO's do not enforce the federal gun laws as it is difficult. I guess they have to notify a federal LEO but rarely do.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Sage

noop. Guess agin

wmu 3A
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/...n-laws-20140325
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:46 PM
The Man

In one of the southern states, a sheriff was running for reelection. He was placing his campaign literature in mail boxes. A mail carrier behind him was pulling them out because no postage was applied. The sheriff realized what he was doing and arrested him...hauling him off to jail.

You can imagine how that incident ended.

How you have explained it is how I always saw it play out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Whether they can or not, they can notify the feds of the violations. Infrequently, local DA's somehow get federal charges filed in firearms cases. There was an article about it in the York Paper about 2 years ago. What the procedure is, I don't know. I often wondered about why more federal charges are not brought when state WCO's find eagle feathers etc., The state law often seems like a slap on the wrist when compared to the federal law penalties.

The poster is right about the marijuana thing. Imagine a rifle hunter seems tipsy, gets run in and marijuana shows up in a BAC. Automatic federal violation of the federal firearms act and possible life long loss of firearms rights.

This information in the hands of an anti gun executive could get wild. Compare the lists of drug convictions with hunter's licenses and those who did not buy an archery stamp and would there be probable cause to get search warrants. Given the drug busts here in this county, there could be a booming business in searches. I figure the day is coming maybe ten years maybe 20.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page