Kids and I got back from a little shooting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kids and I got back from a little shooting

at Camp Perry

Did OK, some bone head moves hurt me more than bad shooting.

First was the vintage sniper fired at 3 and 600 as a team match. We shoot a 03AFaux that was a parts gun I put together and found a vintage Weaver 330 to top with. (2.5X, no click adjustment, real hair cross hairs) Great news was I shot 4x's at 300, bad news was I cross fired one of them to the neighbors target. I ended with a 87-3X at 300 giving away 10 points. For the guys who dont know, the X ring is 3 inches, 10 is 7inches and the 9 is about 13.
I firmly did a cranial rectotomy when moving back to 600 and shot a 94-4x. x=6in, 10=12, 9= 18 and was pretty happy with that. Gifting 10 moved me from what would have been 50 out of 500+ to 208th place. My partner just couldnt get into the rifle this year, and we ended up 145 out of 224 shooting bolt guns.
As a bonus, my spotting scope decided to turn loose a lens inside. It wasnt a real good one, but I kind of needed it. If its going to break, it will break at Perry. This is a theme.

I shot the Garand match next and that went a lot better.
My daughter doesnt have the hand strength to load a Garand, so she shot the carbine at 200. Didnt do to bad with a 208. She wasnt dead last this year so she was pretty happy. My son and I were pulling pits for her and that carbine bullet makes a funny noise hitting the target as compared to the 06's flying around.
The son shot my Garand and got a 226-1. Thats about the best he has ever done with the Garand. Didnt put him in the medals but he did well.
I shot a 270-3 which just put me in the silvers and I was pretty happy with that. X-10-9 ring are the same as 300yd tgt

The next day was the Springfield and vintage military matches.
My daughter and shooting partner shot first and the son and I pitted. The daughter must have gotten some bad shrooms for dinner the night before because she was puking. BUT, she still shot the slow fire prone, and prone rapid, called it a day before the standing though. She shot a 152-1. I fired first after coming out of the pit and shot a decent prone slow fire (96-2), rolled out and saw a screw on the mat. I dont have the rear action screw reefed down, it likes it just snug. Well, apparently it decided to abandon its post. I put it back in and that dropped my POA pretty badly and I gave up 20 on the rapid fire for a 80. All low and in a 9 sized group, but mostly out of the black. I did OK but not as well as I can on my hind feet (78), but not enough to make the medals at that point. The son shot a nice SFprone, (90-1) and a good RFprone (90) but stood up and fell on his butt with a 54. The nice thing about it was he said he could see a medal, which is a first.

Vintage, I shot the Krag and the son shot a Yugo Mauser.
The Mauser didnt like him out there at all. He was throwing most of them in the black which is OK for that rifle at home. It was a shotgun out there. It could be a lot of him, because that is a long day in the sun and he has never done a full day on the range, but something was real different. I shot the Krag good enough to get just into the bronze medals. I have to remember with that big long thing offhand, the Zen goes out the window and you just clamp every muscle in your upper body including your jaw to get it to stop swinging. I got a 247-2.

So we had a good time and I picked up a pretty decent spotting scope on sale for 400 bucks from Champions choice and a new cloth shooting coat for me since the old canvas one is coming apart. Some more primers, and other stuff, and some gun parts. The daughter blurted out that I had bought a gun, and I had to inform her that a upper, grip, stock, springs and a bag of parts for a A1 build is NOT a gun. I have to let the black ops fund stabilize and get a check ready for Nodak-Spud and a 603, and some proper 30 round mags.

Daughter in the carbine match

Her little brother

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 PM
atr
Banned

Re: Kids and I got back from a little shooting

I had a little trouble understanding everything after "Did Ok"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr
I had a little trouble understanding everything after "Did Ok"
03AFaux = fake 03A4 out of parts that I built for a vintage sniper rifle match. It is as close to a real 03A4 (a sniper version of a 1903A3 Springfield) as I can get without selling the wife.
Weaver = scope maker
200-300-600 = yards, 3 in = 3 inches
94-4x at 600 means that 4 holes were made in the 6in center of the target, and 6 landed in the 18inches around that from 600 yards. Out of a possible 100, the score was 94 with 4x's to be used as tiebreakers.
Cranial rectotomy was pulling my head out of my butt and not doing stupid.
Garand = 30-06 battle rifle in as issued condition.
Springfield = 30-06 battle rifle in as issued condition
Krag = 30-40 Krag in as issued condition
Carbine = M1 carbine in as issued condition
Yugo Mauser = Yugoslavian Mauser in as issued condition
SF prone = slow fire prone, 10 shots in 10 min
RF prone = rapid fire prone, 10 shots in 80 seconds with one reload
Standing = shooting on your hind feet with no support.
Spotting scope = thing that makes things look closer
Daughter = female progeny
Son aka little brother = male progeny
POA = point of aim
Group = used to describe where the shots land on a target and how wide the spread is

That help?

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page