Marcellus well testing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Marcellus well testing

I've been notified that a Marcellus well is being drilled nearby and that the company doing that wants a sample of my well water. Apparently, my well is just inside a certain radius of where the gas well is being drilled. An annoyingly persistent fellow keeps coming to my door (I've never seen him, my wife has dealt with him up to now) wanting a sample. I've heard of people giving up samples of their well water, only to have some federal authority come and cap their well. I don't even want this guy on my property, to be honest. Has anyone ever had their well water tested by a lab that the drillers sent to collect your water? What was the result? Can I trust this guy not to have my well capped, or should I run him off?

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Sage

Re: Marcellus well testing

I think you got bum scoop on the wells being capped by the Feds..

http://water.epa.gov/drink/info/well/index.cfm

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"> EPA regulates public water systems; it does not have the authority to regulate private drinking water wells. </span> Approximately 15 percent of Americans rely on their own private drinking water supplies, and these supplies are not subject to EPA standards, although some state and local governments do set rules to protect users of these wells. Unlike public drinking water systems serving many people, they do not have experts regularly checking the water’s source and its quality before it is sent to the tap. These households must take special precautions to ensure the protection and maintenance of their drinking water supplies </span>

Had ours done along with all our neighbors had a very good report after extensive tests and the drilling company picked up the tab. No problems found.

And just in case you were wondering

http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/portal...wells/20690%5D

Wells
<span style="font-style: italic">
Does the state of Pennsylvania regulate private homeowner wells?
No. The PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) does not regulate private wells. However, since DEP receives many questions from homeowners about their privately-owned wells, this page is designed to provide homeowners with information about the following
</span>

wmu 3A
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Maybe they are looking for a before drill benchmark? To protect them and You.

You if the well turns tainted after drilling, and them so they are not taken to the cleaners on an existing issue.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 AM
The Man

Gas company's are required to test any water wells within 2,000 feet of a proposed well, before drilling.
The reason is simple, they need a before drilling sample, just in case a land owner has anything happen to their well after drilling.........or decides to make up a bogus claim like the people of Dimick did.
The pre drilling sample is protecting the land owner, as well as the gas company, should anything happen to the water well.
The land owner just needs to be assured they will get a copy of the test results, so they have proof of their water quality before drilling.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 AM
The Man

Would guess it to be similar to a coal mining scenario.

Before and during the mining (drilling/fracking) process, a DEP (IIRC) person will periodically sample your water to keep tabs on it. The drilling company wants the sample so if it comes to a battle, they know what the "before" sample was.

At least that's approximately how it was explained to me when a mining company was coming through trying to lease up coal tracts.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:31 AM
Sage

DEP was never involved with our testing it was all done by a private firm and the water was sent to another testing facility not affiliated those who took the samples.

I was very pleased and quite surprised at the extensive testing and report sent to us, still have it in the files somewhere it was about 30 pages long.

wmu 3A
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:46 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10
Would guess it to be similar to a coal mining scenario.

Before and during the mining (drilling/fracking) process, a DEP (IIRC) person will periodically sample your water to keep tabs on it. The drilling company wants the sample so if it comes to a battle, they know what the "before" sample was.

At least that's approximately how it was explained to me when a mining company was coming through trying to lease up coal tracts.
That part is true Strut, and the homeowner should want that test result as well, and the gas company has to pay for it.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:51 AM
The Man

DD, I've had mine checked in the past. No sinister plots, just setting a benchmark.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

I PM'd you. I have sampled over 1000 wells myself and have been in the industry a while. I can answer any questions you may have.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:58 AM

If I were in your place I would seek out an independent lab not associated with the gas industry and have my own test done.
also IF I allowed the mining company get a test sample I'd want the test results.

Da hawk ate my baby!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page