I wonder if he is an Indian engineer type.All book learned and no practical experience.
Almost 40 years ago I was working in a lighting fixture manufacturing sweatshop that had an Indian plant engineer. Everything he learned was from a book and because of his caste back in India he was above manual labor . Therefore no hands on experience. One day he leads the plant maintenance guys to the main switchgear and procedes to tell them to remove the covers from the supply power panels. They kept telling him not to do whatever he was trying to do with the power . He insisted and takes a large screwdriver and manages quite easily to electrocute himself and short out the building and created some beautiful arcing lights which I saw from the paint spraybooth catwalk.
After the ambulances came and power company came ,we got sent home. A week later he was back with arm in a sling, bandages on his head. Lost 3 fingers, a hole in his elbow and burns on his head from mega volts shock. Darn lucky to be alive. I left shortly after that and wonder how that company survived.
"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"