Thinking of going to school for RHVAC - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of going to school for RHVAC

Anyone in the field?

What are your thoughts? Would you do it again?

Thanks.
Brian

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/YooHoo/Bernice/Lucy
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:08 PM

Re: Thinking of going to school for RHVAC

I went to comm college classes at nights and got my universal EPA cert. I did tho so I could work on my stuff on farm and other farms. Helped out a guy install systems during winter when farming was slow. Great skills learned, get good and open your own business if you wanna make real money...

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:22 PM

When my son was in high school I told him he should go to the Vo-Tech school and learn a trade, even if it was something he didn't want to do the rest of his life, he could have something to fall back on to make a few dollars. He took up HVAC and as soon as he graduated landed a tech job with the best heating company in our area. He made great money, company vehicle, the only part he hated was being on-call. After 18 years and working his way up to the top tech in the company, he started his own company and had all the work he wanted. A few years ago he sold his HVAC and started another business venture. I worked in the mills for years and seen so many close. Remember that people always want to be warm and comfortable, you don't see many HVAC companies closing and moving to Mexico or China.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This is a service field where you will ALWAYS have a job. Go to school and get training and certified . Most schools have job placement offices. Just out of school you will probably assist another mechanic for a while then you're on your own. Work is hot, cold , dirty and wet any or all at the same time! That's the worst part like any job has but what I get out of it is fixing it, troubleshooting and great satisfaction of figuring out the problem. People love you when they get heat back. Even tho you work for a company you are on your own in the field and a phone call away from help from the other mechanics. There are many different types of jobs in this field. Service work, facilities work, heat/cooling,refrigeration of all kinds. I say it is a good career choice. I started out in the late 80's and now Im a facilities manager for a school.
Camp co=owner asked me the same question as op and that's what I told him. That was about 18 years ago and he started his own successful HVAC business about 5 years after he got out of night school. He has dome mighty well.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your comments.

BlackBruin,

Your comment about going to community college at night. Yesterday, I toured a private school. One year = 17k. Since it is during the day, I would need to pay for childcare for the summer. Because of your comment, I called the local votech (we do not have community college in Erie county). They have evening classes for adults. Cost = 2800 with no child care.

The knowledge of our members on hpa is vast and greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Brian

Lake Effect Beagles
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My brother is in the field. He could do really well if he applied himself but, he is just scraping by but it his own fault due to life choices. He worked for others for awhile then went out on his own and is now back working for others.

That being said, I would not spend a bunch of $ at a "fancy" school for this particular trade. I think you can get the basics you need from regular vo-tech classes and Comm. College courses. Just like most other careers, the real "learning" is on the job.
Another piece of advice, research the companies you want to work for when you are looking at the job postings. There are quite a few, esp. in the PGH area, that you want to stay away from at all cost. Check out the BBB reviews and do google searches for complaints and reviews (as far as residential goes). You don't want your reputation to be soured by working for a "BAD" company just to get employeed.
Good luck to you.

Suburban redneck.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

I never did it but a friend of mine does HVAC. He seem to do pretty good for himself. It doesn't look like he has a hard time finding work either. I think he works for a public school now.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 12:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Apply to an apprenticeship, let them train you for 5 years all the while you get paid for working. Then graduate your apprenticeship, make 100 grand, buy your own property and come on here and laugh at the guys who can't kill a deer!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ftup
Apply to an apprenticeship, let them train you for 5 years all the while you get paid for working. Then graduate your apprenticeship, make 100 grand, buy your own property and come on here and laugh at the guys who can't kill a deer!
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, at 40 I think it may be tough to get in.

Lake Effect Beagles
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Sage

Maybe, but you don't have anything to lose by trying.

It’s funny until somebody gets hurt, then it’s hilarious

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page