Lumber liquidators formaldehyde - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Lumber liquidators formaldehyde

Anybody who installed flooring from LL might be interested in this story......

OAKLAND, CA – A lawsuit filed against Lumber Liquidators says Chinese-made flooring sold by the company emits formaldehyde at levels far above permissible CARB levels, requiring cancer warning labels according to California law.

Federal agents raided Lumber Liquidators headquarters in Toano, VA, seeking evidence to corroborate allegations that the flooring retailer violated the Lacey Act in importing product illegally sourced from Siberian forests.
The lawsuit was filed by Global Community Monitor after independent lab results revealed the results of formaldehyde tests. The lawsuit accuses Lumber Liquidators of falsifying information. According to the lawsuit the company claims on its website “all of its flooring comes from mills certified as compliant with California’s standards for formaldehyde.”

In a response to the lawsuit, officials at Lumber Liquidators said the allegations raised are "flat out false."They said the products sold in their stores meet "the highest quality and environmental standards."

"Our product meets relevant environmental standards and undergoes rigorous, independent, third party testing. More specifically, our internal testing and that conducted by third parties concluded that product levels fell well below the Proposition 65 “safe harbor” limits," company officials said.

Company officials said Lumber Liquidators’ products are tested to be in compliance with California law and that the company is transparent about its "quality control and assurance processes."

According to Global Community Monitor's lawsuit, test results showed “average initial formaldehyde exposures over 100 times above the amount allowed to be sold without a warning label under Proposition 65, California’s main toxics law.” The lawsuit says none of the Lumber Liquidator samples that were tested had a warning label on the box, none of the stores where samples were purchased had a Proposition 65 warning, and no warnings were provided at the time of purchase over the internet.

Proposition 65 requires products containing chemicals that cause cancer to carry a warning label if the levels exceed the so-called “safe harbor” level. Formaldehyde, often used in the glue for laminate flooring and other pressed-wood products, can be released in gas form and cause medical problems, including cancer, the lawsuit says.

Global Community Monitor’s lawsuit is the latest issue to plague Lumber Liquidators. In December 2013 a class action lawsuit alleged the company inflated its earnings during a 21-month period by importing illegally sourced lumber in violation of the federal Lacey Act.

- See more at: http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wood-m...6272.html#.dpuf

It’s funny until somebody gets hurt, then it’s hilarious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Re: Lumber liquidators formaldehyde

Formica countertops also emit formaldehyde.

MAGA 2020
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:05 AM

Wood paneling was loaded with formaldehyde in the
late 70's and 80's. The manufacturers solution to the problem of burning eyes and burning sinuses was to crank up the heat in the units, open the windows for ventilation and bake it out.

I will never use any type of processed or pre-finished wood in my home.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Sage

I don't have a dog in the hunt. I saw the story on 60 minutes and thought it would be good info if anybody has that stuff in their house or camp.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:55 AM

for posting it DC, many people are unaware of the junk that is in products.

Same with the pressure treated lumber When it was injected with CCA. We were using it by the trailer load every week. I bet I built at least 50 8' picnic benches out of it for family and friends before they released that it was only to be used for decks, docks and walkways. We burned the cutoffs to stay warm on the job and took home cut-offs to burn in campfires, again more no-no's.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Sage

formaldehyde must be some real bad stuff as all the critters I have seen in it were dead!

wmu 3A
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Speaking of death, the workers in the plant where the flooring is made had no safety equipment on except for a dust mask.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 AM
The Man

So your saying the flooring must be safe then........right......

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Only for the Chinese. They have an immunity to lead, asbestos and formaldehyde.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page