The Pelleteer? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

The Pelleteer?

Has anyone ever use the Pelleteer?

It is a "wood pellet fire basket for wood stoves".

I was thinking about looking into one for our wood stove.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:23 PM

Re: The Pelleteer?

I just looked it up.

I immediately noticed some things:

1) seems reasonable, but you won't get a long burn time per their numbers

2) very expensive for what it is....I could build one for a quarter of what that costs with a little expanded mesh, some flat steel bar and a few bolts

3) I like the idea for times I'm there to keep it loaded like on the weekends or evenings

4) I could really use this RIGHT NOW as I didn't cut enough dry enough wood this past spring and I'm into my stash of almost ready firewood

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

I did see the burn times were low and that would be the biggest detractor for me.

If anyone had experience with that was positive I was going to have my stepdad fabricate a similar device for me instead of buying it.

I have a load of firewood in the bed of my truck that we were taking down to the wood burner a couple pieces at a time but now I think I have a chimney blockage.

There isn't enough firewood to get through but 2 weeks anyhow so we are on to the furnace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:34 PM

Interesting!!
I'd like to see one work
Agree you could build one cheaper.
It would be useful when running low on cordwood!

We're all here because we're not all there!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:41 PM

This is coming from a guy with multiple lifetime supplies of prime PA hardwood to render to firewood, so take it for what it's worth. BUT, stick with turning said hardwoods into firewood, and forget the pellet route. Yes, it's work, but you pretty much have to enjoy the entire art/process of "making" a stick of seasoned firewood. If you don't enjoy that process, the pellet route may be the way to go. Pellets can get expensive as a primary, or even main supplement to an existing heat source. That said though, turning trees into a stick of wood ready for a woodburner doesn't exactly pay all that well either. And Lord it gets tough on a bad back.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
This is coming from a guy with multiple lifetime supplies of prime PA hardwood to render to firewood, so take it for what it's worth. BUT, stick with turning said hardwoods into firewood, and forget the pellet route. Yes, it's work, but you pretty much have to enjoy the entire art/process of "making" a stick of seasoned firewood. If you don't enjoy that process, the pellet route may be the way to go. Pellets can get expensive as a primary, or even main supplement to an existing heat source. That said though, turning trees into a stick of wood ready for a woodburner doesn't exactly pay all that well either. And Lord it gets tough on a bad back.
I like using firewood but between work, a baby, and starting a business I just can't commit all the time it takes to finding, cutting, and splitting wood. I have a buddy who spends every free minute of his life splitting firewood or ML hunting. He has wood to burn (pun intended) but a huge investment in time which means mostly (I do cut and split some) I buy it.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:21 PM

I hear that!

I used to have all kinds of time. Then I got married. Then we had a child. Then we had another. Right now they're too young to be much help. They also have something going on almost all the time. Time for firewood isn't nearly as easy to find as it once was....which is why I'm burning stuff for next year. I cut it because I could, at the time I could and I knew I couldn't use it this year....but I was there and the standing dead tree was there so I cut it down and brought it home.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I like using firewood but between work, a baby, and starting a business I just can't commit all the time it takes to finding
Yep, understood. Been there. In that case, the pellet route may be the route for you.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If going pellet try to find hardwood pellets.
Can not open the attached where I am at but interested.
Had my busiest year selling firewood.
Like Fleero said if you do not like / have time to make firewood, pellets are probably a better route.
If you have time to make firewood do it so it gets dry correctly and fully. Wind, heat and air are all good things.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
If you have time to make firewood do it so it gets dry correctly and fully. Wind, heat and air are all good things.
Yep, and without those, there's creosote... and that's a BAD THING.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page