Field and Stream in Altoona - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Field and Stream in Altoona

One article I read said the store was opening the 8th, another article said the 10th. Well, I went today over lunch, the store is OPEN, kind of a soft opening. If anyone is near the Altoona area, or wants to check the store out, the store is open. TONS and TONS of stuff there, the most exciting product that got me excited was the trapping section. Traps, lures, wire, fleshing knives, this is stuff that is normally bought online because there isnt a supplier that I know of in the Altoona area. The one thing that did surprise me is there is 1 turkey call in the store. I was talking to a worker about it and he was displeased, but he did say that once the season comes around, they will have a large selection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Field and Stream in Altoona

That's great news about the trapping section! I have been wanting to give trapping a try and like you said, no where to buy in our area. Will have to check it out tonight. Thanks for the heads up.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:06 PM
The Man

Where in Altoona? Going to visit family this week in Osterburg and want to check it out.

USAF 1984-88

Families that hunt together stay together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Right beside Target. This weekend is their grand opening.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thats funny, I head on the news the 10th, on the radio the 9th, and I think the sign on the store said the 8th. Good to hear that Im not the only one that had a hard time understanding when the real opening is. Im excited to see the selection they have
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:29 PM

How were the prices on things you looked at? I'd imagine they'd be having a big sale for the grand opening but I got a flyer in the mail Saturday listing the events and that Jep Robertson is going to be there Friday evening and Doug Drebeck Saturday but nothing about a sale.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They always have a soft opening before the grand opening. If you need 22lr they should have boat loads for the grand. I went to the one in Washington and can say it is a nice store. Just make sure you do your price homework before you go. They are just like any other box store, good deals on some stuff but way higher on others.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was just in it and would say it is a small scale cabelas but is of good size. It was pretty impressive. Really not good to be so close to me.

I'm pretty sure field and stream was dicks sporting goods response to angry sportsman from them pulling guns off the shelves after the Connecticut shootings ???

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:32 PM
The Man

One in Elmira NY opening the 10th as well. That is actually closer to me, about 1/2 hour away. Looking forward to checking it out.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTman
How were the prices on things you looked at? I'd imagine they'd be having a big sale for the grand opening but I got a flyer in the mail Saturday listing the events and that Jep Robertson is going to be there Friday evening and Doug Drebeck Saturday but nothing about a sale.
Prices werent too bad, but to be honest, I spent more time looking at the mounts then doing some actual shopping. We did talk to one of the workers though because the guy I was with asked about tree stands and if they are going to run any specials. The worker told us to wait until the weekend if you plan on buying a tree stand, supposedly they are having good deals on certain products this weekend.
I will say that I was looking at Easton Da' Torch arrow because I happened to ruin an arrow shooting at a ghog, 1 Easton Da' Torch arrow, fletched was $14.99. I found that to be a little $. Lumennocks were $25 for a 3 pack, I think I paid $34 with shipping online. A Muddy tree harness was $109, thats about all I remember from the top of my head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page