Glock42 .380 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Glock42 .380

Just looking for some thoughts and/or opinions checked it out and it has many pro's and some cons I think the pros out weigh the cons.

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Glock42 .380

Im not much on it. Im one of those guys complaining it wasnt a single stack 9mm. Its actually bigger than my Kahr CM9, so It doesnt make sense to me to pic one up.

What are the pros you are talking about.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 AM

hitchcock 45 on youtube has a nice 29 minute review and comparison of the Glock 42.

You can have it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I handled one the other day and think I will be getting one just because I don't own a 380....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Handled one yesterday... I'm a little bit disappointed.

It is not a pocket pistol IMO

About the size of a Kahr 9 or a ruger LC, way bigger than the LCP and SIG238/colt mustang PL

Looks and feels just like a glock, im sure it fires like one too.

Glock has been the industry leader for well over 25 years and it is apparent to me that they have no clue how to deal with being 'left behind' in the pocket pistol frenzy.

I would expcet that the R & D at glock is busy building and testing a 9mm and a pocket .380... those are what the gun buying public is after IMO

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient indian
Just looking for some thoughts and/or opinions checked it out and it has many pro's and some cons I think the pros out weigh the cons.
Too many proven 9mm pistols close to or smaller than the G42 to even give it consideration.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:12 AM
Part of the Community

I am no expert, but most people who have a .380 from what I see don't practice with it. Most .380 pistols aren't fun or accurate to shoot with the long trigger pull, ammo costs a lot , short sight radius isn't fun at range. If .380 is your choice for caliber because you are recoil sensitive then the glock 42 will be a good option for iwb or a purse and the glock trigger should make it gun you can practice with and glock's have a proven track record for reliability vs say a kel-tec.

But not me, I am not a fan of .380. I might buy it for my wife though...

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Banned

Barry, there are a lot of guns out there with more punch than a .380 and just as small.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Glocks are easy to disassemble and maintain. No tools required to disassemble. 30 seconds or less is all it takes to completely break one down and reassemble with minimal practice.

The bigger size and weight of the 42 will take some of the snappy recoil out when shooting. It will not be as easy to conceal but it won't be hard to conceal either. I now carry a G26 every day in every season and have never left it at home because I could not conceal it. The 42 is smaller than the 26.

The ultra small pocket pistols conceal a lot better but many do not get shot near as much as they should because they are just not comfortable for extended practice sessions. Putting a more powerful cartridge in a small pistol increases the recoil even further. I see many people buy a defense pistol, load it up with the first brand of ammo they see on the shelf that says "Defense" somewhere in the advertising and never even take it to the range to see if the gun is reliable, accurate and comfortable to shoot. HUGE mistake. They carry it around "until they have time to shoot it"....

The .380 cartridge.. like a .410 Shotgun.. is a specialty cartridge. Many think that giving one to a novice for their first pistol or shotgun is a good thing but in reality shot placement has to be more precise to offset the ballistics of the round. Advancements in ammo have greatly improved the performance of pistol ammo across the board so a .380 loaded with premium ammo is certainly not a handicap but no matter what cartridge and caliber is decided on to defend your life lots and lots of practice has to be part of the regular routine.
I would much rather have someone use a pistol that fits them well and is comfortable to shoot so that they can practice with it regularly rather than have one that is uncomfortable and the recoil makes a person shy away from practice. I carried a S&W Sigma .380 for almost 20 years. I put a lot of rounds through it in practice and it was accurate and reliable. I never felt under-gunned. I felt that at a distance where it came down to not being able to avoid a confrontation the .380 would have put a magazine full exactly where I needed it to.

Ultra small pistols in 9mm or greater cartridges certainly are easy to conceal but as size and weight decrease recoil increases. If those pistols fit you well and you practice it is not a problem. If those pistols are uncomfortable for one reason or another then a pistol a little bigger in size and weight might be just the right combination.

Personally in an ideal situation I'd rather use a .45 over a 9mm, a 9mm over a .380, a .380 over a .22 and a .22 over nothing. But I have carried them all at various times and felt that I could handle what was necessary IF necessary.

Best advice is go to a shop that has a large inventory so that you can actually hold a few and operate the slides and controls. I have found that what I think I want in my mind is not what I leave with after a good hands on comparison.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Tks to all who took the time to respond , greatly appreciated!!

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page