Smith and Wesson/Huglu SXS - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Smith and Wesson/Huglu SXS

Got to lookin at a new S&W SXS built by Huglu in Turkey. It is a 20 guage fixed choke but is not marked anywhere what constriction they are. Each barrel has a series of stars under the forearm but I'm not sure whta they designate??

Anyone know what the star designations on each barrel represent. I am sure it is constiction but not sure what 3-stars v.s. 4-stars signifies??

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 PM

Re: Smith and Wesson/Huglu SXS

It's choke for sure. I'm not sure if Turks use european markings or have their own?

I'd do some reasearch on the shotgun in question. Shotgun world may be a good place to search and ask about it. I've seen good and bad reviews. I would lean more toward a spanish sxs over a turkish. I think the spanish workmanship is better then the turkish. That is a beautiful (the s&w) sxs though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 08:53 AM
The Man

*** and **** designate Mod/IC....The Turks, for some reason, use this system of choke designation.

The low-end Turkish guns can be rough but seem serviceable....My 16 gauge Kimber Valier II, made by AKUS, is not one of these...a 7-pin sidelock with an articulating front trigger, it's a joy to carry and shoot....

The S&Ws I've seen are decent little guns. Not sure if I would buy one over an SKB 280 if I had my choice...NIB or very lightly used SKB 280s in 20 gauge can still be had in the same price range...The Smiths do not seem to be selling well and I suspect the reason just may be their price tag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks Bob, If I had to bet on anyone having an answer it would have been you

Although I figured it was IC/Mod, I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere, including the owners manual and the Huglu website.

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would look into an Ugartechea, before I bought that huglu.

Just my opinion, but I think they are nicer and in the long run likely better. At least I personally would feel better carrying a gun made in spain vs one from turkey even if they are of the same quality. But thats me.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 01:43 PM
The Man

Most welcome, BONZy. I called Kimber when I bought the Valier....their guy had no idea what choking the stars denoted....

Retract what I said about SKB 280s being priced similarly to the Smith....they're not...the SKB is a better finished gun but several hundred $ over an S&W....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Sage

Ithaca/SKBs and SKBs are nifty shotguns.

A buddy collects them (and also Wincester 21s). Several years ago he found a beautiful 28ga double that I'm pretty sure was an older SKB? Got to handle it, never did get to shoot it.

My only double is a 1930s vintage Crescent-Davis 20ga. Like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes, but it is in great shape and works fine for me as a bird gun.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:21 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

S&W chokes should be IC/M as noted. These seem like nice little guns, although I have no experience with Turkish guns. I know someone who has a S&W Elite, and he loves the gun. The S&W lifetime warranty might be a good selling factor too.
http://www.billhanusbirdguns.com/swgoldelite.html

As for Uggie's, they are nice, but which one do you get? Gr. 1, 2, 3 or 4? And why stop there? Spend that much $$$$ for a Gr. 4 Uggie and you're approaching AYA, Arrieta and Grulla territory. Geez, so many SxS's, and so little time and money it seems to procure them!

How about the new Fausti's?
http://www.billhanusbirdguns.com/fausti.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page