snubbies - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

snubbies

Any snub nosed shooters/carriers out there??

I just got a S&W 642...I haven't even shot it yet...

Biggest first question...are they designed to shoot a certain bullet weight at point of aim?? 38 rounds come in a variety of flavors...I've never really seen a difference of POI with my autos...so I'm assuming it'll be the same with a snubby...?

Loads...I like the looks of speer gold dot short barrel loads...they seem to perform very well....if I can ever find them in stock anywhere...

Reloads....speed strips are probably the most convenient.... any brand better than another? How do you load them for a 5 shot...? 4rds 2 and 2 empty and 2 more loaded? 5? 6?

Any "must have" upgrades or improvements?

I know its limitations and realize its not a 6" 44 mag or anything...it'll mostly be a back up gun...probably in an ankle rig..I know if I ever need to reach for it its a bad day and likely going to be very up close shooting...

Will hot the range when it warms up a fee more degrees...been running dry fire sessions and got used to it very quickly....used to shooting Sigs with a somewhat similar DA first shot...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 AM
The Man

Re: snubbies

I've got a smith 042, which is essentially the same thing as your 642. Except mine isn't +p rated. Somewhere along the line I read that they're meant to hit poa with 158gr loads. Not sure if that's true or not. My carry loads are limited somewhat because of the non +p. I reload 158gr wad cutters for practice, and carry Hornady critical defends loads. If my gun was rated +p! the gold dot loads would be my choice for CC.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Part of the Community

I carry a Ruger SP101 357 with 2 inch barrel. When I'm carrying its loaded with Remington Golden Sabers 125 grain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

borden, 158s seem to be the "standard" but 115s are "standard" in 9mm..ive shot 147s with no change..same with 40 and 45s..same goes from target rounds to +p and hotter defensive loads..im thinking maybe the distance is why?

heck..ive shot winchester ranger frangible stuff..bullets look crazy (especially 223) and weights are pretty low..i think 135gr for 40..never had an issue going from it to 180gr defensive loads..

im excited to get to the range and see what i can do! i know it'll take some practice and getting used to...

my baby glock is just getting heavy and a bit bulky..
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 AM

125gr for me in my s&w 442.

You just shot an unarmed man. Well he should have armed himself!!! Clint Eastwood.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
I know its limitations and realize its not a 6" 44 mag or anything...it'll mostly be a back up gun...probably in an ankle rig..I know if I ever need to reach for it its a bad day and likely going to be very up close shooting...
If its going down up close and personal, I would prefer something more accessible than a gun under my pant leg down by my feet. JMO.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

It all has its pros and cons...its often easier to get to an ankle rig when you're on the ground than anything else though....it'll only be on the ankle when I have a full sized on my hip...

In the pocket as a back up gun doesn't work well..access to pockets while sitting is pretty restricted...

Another option is on the chest...still..access is tough...and in a ground struggle and last ditch effort I rather have it on my ankle for safety sake...

Not set on anything as of yet....those are just my thoughts as of now...

I know most LE that carry a back up gun its either on the ankle or the chest...neither is perfect or ideal...but its a last ditch gun to reach for when their big gun failed or is gone..

I have a friend that carries a 380 and its always in a tight fitting under shirt with a built in holster...just crazy to me as a primary weapon...by the time he can get it out the bad guy would need a 2nd mag...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Part of the Community

Have to agree with HighCountry,never carry out of arms length. Most gun fights are over in the 1st 30 seconds and average distance is 3 to 7 feet. Practice at no more than 25' with a bellygun on a man size target while drawing your weapon. Just remember you're point shooting,not aiming.

Be honest with yourself
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Part of the Community

I don't know if you would call a Ruger LCR 38 a snubby but that is what I carry. My wife gave me a case to wear on my belt that looks just like a large cell phone or IPad case. Can't remember the name of right now but it is very comfortable and can be exposed without raising concerns from the public.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a S&W titanium I carry on my ankle as a backup. if you decide ankle carry is what you want, don't cheap out on the holster. I have the Galco Ankle glove and settled on that after several cheap holsters. I have the 135 gr. Gold dots for carry, (Bought a bunch years ago from Florida Bullet) but the Hornady Critical defense look good too.

The more people that I meet, the more I love my dog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page