Mossberg 500 "Slugster" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mossberg 500 "Slugster"

I no longer want to shoot rifled slugs out of my smooth bored Remingtion 870 so I'm looking to get an actual slug gun. I've been checking out this gun and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with them, or any other gun for that matter.

I have $400 in Cabelas gift cards to use towards a purchase so I'm not looking to venture to much higher than that for the gun and combo.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mossb...h-All+Products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 03:33 PM

Re: Mossberg 500 "Slugster"

Easy question to answer. Take a look at the following: http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_slug_gun.htm Plus read the many reviews to be found on the web site. I have the Browning which is a little more $$. However, the 20 ga. savage is in your apparent price range and is the current rage for extreme accuracy.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 03:42 PM

I use a 500 with a cantilever barrel for my hunting in Allegheny County and Ohio. The fit and finish isn't anything special and it isn't the prettiest gun in the world, but it is reliable and shoots pretty well. Off a bench, I can expect to see sub 3" groups with the SST slugs at 100 yards.

I don't know much about the BSA scope that comes with the Cabelas combo in the link you posted above, but I do know the scope that originally came with mine (cheap Bushnell) didn't hold a zero very well, presumably due to the recoil. I would suggest that you do some research on the BSA scope, because if it doesn't work out for you, you could easily wind up spending another $150 on a decent scope down the road like I had to.

If I were personally in the market for a new slug gun right now, I would buy a Savage 220 or 212. My brother has the 220 and it really is a sweet shooting gun. The only drawback is that the Savage will probably be in the $600-650 range by the time you get a scope on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I wouldn't mind going up a bit in price for a gun that's got such great reviews. I got the $400 in cabelas gift cards specifically from points I'd earned on a credit card that I use to purchase everyday purchases. So that $400 is essentially free. Even in the 600-650 range I'd only be looking at a $200 or so investment.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a Mossburg 500 and it serves its purpose very well. Like others have said, it's not pretty. But with my Nikon 2-7 power shotgun scope, it's a nice deer gun for me in Allegheny county. 3" groups or better at 100 yards can be expected. I use Lightfield sabot slugs.
Here's the way I look at it... This gun is a tool made to do a job. It does it well. What more do you need? My guns are all hunting guns, not safe queens. I drive deer through brush, swamps, etc., hoist them up and down to and from my treestand, I've fallen with them and I don't worry if they get beat up a little. That having been said, I don't intentionally abuse them, but I use them without fear of them getting scratched up. I'd rather carry that kind of weapon than carry a showpiece.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page