SUGGESTIONS ON 12GA. SLUG GUN. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

SUGGESTIONS ON 12GA. SLUG GUN.

IM LOOKING FOR INPUT, SUGGESTIONS OR OTHERWISE ANY KNOWLEDGE AVAILABLE FROM YOU GUYS. IM GONNA PURCHASE A SHOT GUN FOR DEER. SLUG ONLY. HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS.....

>1) BOLT VS. PUMP AND WHY

.2) MAKE AND WHY

.3) ANY SUGGESTIONS ON SCOPES

ALL INFO WILL BE USED AND APPRECIATED.

There is no hunting like the hunting of wanted or armed men!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS ON 12GA. SLUG GUN.

Where I hunt in MD, a shotgun is the main firearm during gun season. So, I have some experience with this topic.

Can't beat the H&R single shot, be it in 12 or 20 ga. Many guys prefer the 20 ga. b/c the weight.

I am using a Rem 1100 12 ga. with a Hastings barrel -- awesome performance.

Finally, if you can afford it, purchase an Ithaca Deerslayer.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

There is no hunting like the hunting of wanted or armed men!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Sage

Delaware is a shotgun only state for firearms and I use 870 pump with a smooth slug barrel, does a good job...H&R is the deal 20 ga with a scope about $275. will get out past 100 yards......single shot, rifled barrel..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Just checked on my scopes: the H&R has a Nikon buck masters in 3x9.
The Rem 1100 has acTruGlow in 3x9.
Both work great and have handled the recoil quite well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 01:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

I will jump in with the 20 Gauge HR single shot. Simply put it is a great shooting gun that is very affordable. Your not losing anything with it being a single shot. The 20 gauge seems to shoot better than the 12 and has plenty of power.

The affordability of the gun makes it easier to spend more on the optics which I feel people tend to skimp on. I really like the Burris Fullfield line but there are many others that are mid range priced and very good. You don't have to spend a fortune to have a very nice and accurate set-up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 AM

IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigtmare68
>1) BOLT VS. PUMP AND WHY
If you are more used to either or then that is the one I'd go with. Bolt slug guns are seeing a resurgence now. If you are traditionally using a bolt action rifle then I reccommend using a bolt action slug gun. However, if you looking for versatility then go with the pump because most maker you can find a field barrel for upland hunting. How serious are you that you may need a dedicated slug gun?

I was born and raise in SRA. So I grew up hunting with a shotgun. My first shotgun was a pump M500. I used the slug barrel and the field barrel. So a pump action slug gun made more sense to me because that's what I was comfortable with.

Quote:
.2) MAKE AND WHY
I shoot an Ithaca deerslayer M87. I shoot an Ithica because it is the best slug gun made (IMO). This is because it is the only pump slug gun that the barrel is threaded onto the reciever. Your moss and rem 500's, and 870's are slop fitted. Not that those popular models are bad. Oh no not at all, but how accurate do you want to be? I get 1" MOA and better (on a good day) with my Ithaca. I'll be honest I cannot speak much for bolt action slug guns because I do not own one. I hear good things and bad. I have heard the same problems from several people about the savage 220. Browning is coming out with a new A-bolt, which is supposed to be getting great reviews.

As far as ammo. Just like rifles every slug gun is different. You will have to find out what your gun likes the best. Stinks paying more for the extra ammo, but you'll see how it groups different.

Quote:
.3) ANY SUGGESTIONS ON SCOPES
Don't limit yourself to supposed "shotgun" scopes. What kind of terrain do you hunt. Will you need higher magnification? Are you the type of hunter that prefers higher magnification? Most people have a 1.5-4 variable. IMO why limit yourself. I personally like 2-7's for my slug guns. As far as brand, leupold, burris, nikon, (some) redfields are what I have used on slug guns.

Another note. Are you sure you want a 12ga? I just ask because the ballistics on 20ga slugs aren't bad at all. Not to mention they don't rattle your teeth as much.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was thinking about a dedicated slug gun myself. I did some looking into the ballistics and decided if I do pick one up I'm going with a 20ga. The numbers are very similar for both, but with a 20 you get a little bit lighter gun, less recoil, and the 20 might actually shoot a little flatter. Ballistics for both are very close to .45-70 numbers.
As far as pump vs bolt, go with what your used to.

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page